Menu

Literature Suggestions for my dd7

La Condessa

Can anyone suggest a good literature list to work from for my oldest dd?  She is reading really well now, but a lot of topics have thematic elements she is not ready for yet.  Right now she's reading the Arabian Nights Entertainments by Andrew Lang, and while she's loving the stories, some parts of it are disturbing for her.  We listened to an audiobook of the Sword in the Stone part of The Once and Future King, which she loved, and I found her sneaking my copy to read the rest, but I don't think she's ready for the parts with Lancelot and Guenever and Mordred.  She loves epic tales of adventure and fantasy.  Our family read aloud right now is the Return of the King.  She loved it when we listened to Treasure Island on a road trip a while back, so I was thinking maybe some more by Robert Louis Stevenson.  I haven't read his other similar works, would Kidnapped or Black Arrow be good for her, do you think?  Some other things she has loved are: the Adventures of Robin Hood and his Merry Outlaws, Peter Pan, the Jungle Books, the Secret Garden.

You might want to look at the Athena's Academy intermediate lit lists-DD did the classes at about your DD's age, and it seemed like a good balance of literature that was a bit more challenging, but was still appropriate for a sensitive kid. She also adored the discussions, even on books she had already read, so you could use the books now, even if she might do the classes next year or later.

Edited by dmmetler