Menu

Question about spelling

mamashark

Through some investigative work I have learned that my 8yo is actually spelling pretty much on grade level, which is why I assumed her spelling was terrible, since her writing and reading are above. Anyway, she likely has dysgraphia and I am starting to see her composition ability take off now that her typing skills are improving. We are testing out Inspiration to help her organize her thoughts and she's enjoying that as well. But she gets so frustrated with her inability to spell what she is writing.

We've tried sequential spelling and she hates it - plus I saw no improvement or translation from spelling lists to her writing. Given the dysgraphia, copywork is like pulling teeth. I tried Essentials of Spelling last year and she liked it because it was "easy" but it's wasn't easy enough for me to accelerate and she was really good at memorizing the short list of words. 

She's a strong auditory learner and is thriving on the discussion based MCT program, we are completing town level this year. 

I was looking at phonetic Zoo - she placed into level.

Good idea? Bad idea? 

My younger boy is 2e with dysgraphia -- he spells at a 4th grade level and writes at a 10th grade level. He does not struggle with phonics, but rather with automacy. He has to sound out every single word he spells which slows him way way down. Over the years, I have tried every single spelling program out there I think. The only thing that has had any success at all is dictation with typing because he doesn't have to physically write and because he spells lots and lots of words in context  every day (usually about 300 words as he is not a fast typist).  I don't do SWB dictation with the added goals of punctuation and working memory, rather I use dictation for spelling only.  I correct ds word for word as he types the dictation. I help him with mispronunciation; I say the words in syllables where required; I help him with 'think to spell' techniques; and I remind him of ending rules. These are not mini-lectures that interrupt the dictation, but more like 3-5 second comments.  We do 25 minutes a day and have for a year. I do not keep lists from these dictations to drill separately as that has not worked in the past -- rather it is the spelling in context that is effective.  We started with an easy novel that he loved, Narnia, and have now graduated to a harder novel, Dealing with Dragons.  Next up is Lord of the Rings.  I would like to do some nonfiction also to get a different selection of words, but ds is not keen.  So I think we will just wait until he wants to switch it up. 

Ruth in NZ

• Like 2

My younger boy is 2e with dysgraphia -- he spells at a 4th grade level and writes at a 10th grade level. He does not struggle with phonics, but rather with automacy. He has to sound out every single word he spells which slows him way way down. Over the years, I have tried every single spelling program out there I think. The only thing that has had any success at all is dictation with typing because he doesn't have to physically write and because he spells lots and lots of words in context every day (usually about 300 words as he is not a fast typist). I don't do SWB dictation with the added goals of punctuation and working memory, rather I use dictation for spelling only. I correct ds word for word as he types the dictation. I help him with mispronunciation; I say the words in syllables where required; I help him with 'think to spell' techniques; and I remind him of ending rules. These are not mini-lectures that interrupt the dictation, but more like 3-5 second comments. We do 25 minutes a day and have for a year. I do not keep lists from these dictations to drill separately as that has not worked in the past -- rather it is the spelling in context that is effective. We started with an easy novel that he loved, Narnia, and have now graduated to a harder novel, Dealing with Dragons. Next up is Lord of the Rings. I would like to do some nonfiction also to get a different selection of words, but ds is not keen. So I think we will just wait until he wants to switch it up.

Ruth in NZ

I love this idea, thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I just started spelling zoo with my 8yo and it's the first time I've seen real progress for her in spelling. She's a great reader, has read all the Lord of the Rings, Little Women, etc, but for example when asked to write the wh question words down recently she still misspelled every one. She has hated all forms of copywork or spelling instruction, but she seems to really enjoy spelling zoo because it's low pressure (she repeats the lesson until she gets all the words right) and then feels a real sense of accomplishment because she got all the words right and seems to really understand the rule:)

• Like 1