Menu

Prentice Hall Science Explorer Earth Science vs. CPO Earth Science

Has any used the PH Earth Science product?  Unfortunately I don't have a way to preview the PH product and so it is hard to know what it might be like.

I am aware there are a good number of threads on here about the content in CPO Earth Science so I can review those for CPO content.

For this thread, I am wondering if anyone has looked at both and made a comparison. Or used the PH product and has feedback on it.

We have used a couple of the topical books that comprise Prentice Hall Science Explorer Earth Science. We have used Astronomy and Inside Earth so far. I was able to preview a copy of several of the books at my library.

It is a public school book. Lots of color. Photos of smiling children in safety glasses doing experiments. The content seems pretty interesting. Each section is about 3-4 pages and has 3-5 summary questions after. Each unit has a review afterward including some standardized test prep questions.

These are several labs and "Discover Activities" that were great suggestions of hands on ways to illustrate the concepts. I have been using the TOPS experiment books as well, so we have not been doing many of the book labs. There are also a few neat little animations and links set up by Prentice Hall online for several concepts. The text provides a web code on the page for the student to use.

I have a student on the younger side for these books, so I purchased the corresponding Guided Reading and Study Workbook for each book. This helps her figure out what information is important and we usually fill out the workbook together after she has read the section. It helps me make sure she is understanding the material.

• Like 1

That's a good question. I think I would have focused more on the book labs for these two texts. Right now, we are really bogged down in the TOPS Pi in the Sky book, which is super interesting but the math is above my student's level. We finished Astronomy a while ago, but are still finishing the last few labs in this TOPS book. I think DD would have gotten more from the book labs in retrospect.

For Inside Earth, I highly recommend buying a crystal growing kit (ours was under $20 from Amazon IIRC). DD had an awesome time growing crystals to go along with the minerals chapter. That idea was from the labs in the book. Most of the labs are easy to do at home and seem to illustrate the concepts fairly well.

Also, you might have a section where the labs aren't that great and another section where they really speak to you guys. You could always buy a TOPS pdf if you get PHSE, and, in planning, find there is a section that could benefit from additional/different labs.

• Like 1

That's a good question. I think I would have focused more on the book labs for these two texts. Right now, we are really bogged down in the TOPS Pi in the Sky book, which is super interesting but the math is above my student's level. We finished Astronomy a while ago, but are still finishing the last few labs in this TOPS book. I think DD would have gotten more from the book labs in retrospect.

For Inside Earth, I highly recommend buying a crystal growing kit (ours was under $20 from Amazon IIRC). DD had an awesome time growing crystals to go along with the minerals chapter. That idea was from the labs in the book. Most of the labs are easy to do at home and seem to illustrate the concepts fairly well.

Also, you might have a section where the labs aren't that great and another section where they really speak to you guys. You could always buy a TOPS pdf if you get PHSE, and, in planning, find there is a section that could benefit from additional/different labs.

Thanks. If you remember the name of the crystal kit let me know. We did one once that was a total disappointment. I think it is one of those YMMV things--some kits are good, and some are awful.

I haven't used the CPO books, but I got some of the PH ones used, including the earth science one, and was so disappointed. The writing was just not great. It was really the definition of dull textbook approach. And it felt a bit scattershot. The progression of topics in the one we used felt haphazard (not sure if that's true in the earth science one... I skimmed it and found it was similar in writing style so we didn't end up doing it at all). The questions were okay. It was nice to have questions, I guess, since when we use living books there aren't any. But overall, I was disappointed. I ended up ditching them.

My son did more than half the entire series of Prentice Hall Science Explorer.  They're not bad really.  The content is pretty interesting and the visuals, graphs and charts actually DO add to the learning and discussion.  They're not easy to schedule IMO, but Calvert did that for us.

Overall though, I personally would not use it ever again because to me and my son they just weren't very memorable.  Then again we are huge Apologia fans, because the books are so memorable, easy to schedule, user friendly the experiements are awesome, and they all actually work, and they're even affordable.  So YYMV

• Like 1

OH_ the experiments in PH are COMPLETELY lame (half the time not even an experiment but direction for research, making a chart or graph etc.) or COMPLETELY difficult to do at home....you are always better off with a Science designed for homeschoolers if you can find one, so if CPO is, I would go with that on that basis alone.

• Like 1

Overall though, I personally would not use it ever again because to me and my son they just weren't very memorable.  Then again we are huge Apologia fans, because the books are so memorable, easy to schedule, user friendly the experiements are awesome, and they all actually work, and they're even affordable.  So YYMV

Which Apologia did you use? I looked at the land animals, etc. five years ago and just didn't like it, but I know a lot of people like their "General Science", "Physical Science", etc.

My one issue is that my husband is not YE and is against using something that is super preachy on that subject.  I would love some feedback if you have any on that. 

Thank you for your input on the experiments as well. I only own the physics related titles for PH Science Explorer and was thinking I would have to come up with my own labs to use them.  I wasn't sure what the Earth Science title would be like.

• Like 1

Which Apologia did you use? I looked at the land animals, etc. five years ago and just didn't like it, but I know a lot of people like their "General Science", "Physical Science", etc.

My one issue is that my husband is not YE and is against using something that is super preachy on that subject. I would love some feedback if you have any on that.

Thank you for your input on the experiments as well. I only own the physics related titles for PH Science Explorer and was thinking I would have to come up with my own labs to use them. I wasn't sure what the Earth Science title would be like.

Another middle school earth science option is Novare. It is old-earth, and my 6th grader is enjoying it. Just fyi in case you hadn't heard of it yet. :)

• Like 2

My one issue is that my husband is not YE and is against using something that is super preachy on that subject.  I would love some feedback if you have any on that. 

Thank you for your input on the experiments as well. I only own the physics related titles for PH Science Explorer and was thinking I would have to come up with my own labs to use them.  I wasn't sure what the Earth Science title would be like.

I was actually talking about the older Apologia books by Wile.  Since the prentice Hall are aimed at 6 and up I assumed your ds was probably at least 6th or maybe 7th grade...

For a 10  year old (assuming your sig line is accurate), I would not necessarily recommend the Jeannie Fulbright series because they are definitely very young earth.  There is a preachy YE section pretty much in the beginning of every book....

So I would look at the other middle school Science suggestions you're getting here, but 10yo unless he's two years advanced isn't really middle school so you may want to clarify exactly what grade level you're looking for.  Many of the homeschool publisher materials have the types of materials that can be used over a variety of grades, giving you more flexibility for an advanced student, so that may help as well.  

I was actually talking about the older Apologia books by Wile.  Since the prentice Hall are aimed at 6 and up I assumed your ds was probably at least 6th or maybe 7th grade...

For a 10  year old (assuming your sig line is accurate), I would not necessarily recommend the Jeannie Fulbright series because they are definitely very young earth.  There is a preachy YE section pretty much in the beginning of every book....

So I would look at the other middle school Science suggestions you're getting here, but 10yo unless he's two years advanced isn't really middle school so you may want to clarify exactly what grade level you're looking for.  Many of the homeschool publisher materials have the types of materials that can be used over a variety of grades, giving you more flexibility for an advanced student, so that may help as well.  

My 10 y.o. will be 11 in two weeks =) but his younger brother will be tagging along.  That said, this is for next year (2017-2018). I have had such disappointments with science curriculum that I am researching way  ahead.  =)  Thanks for your help!