Menu

Tablet Class Geometry vs Derek Owens

I posted a few weeks ago about looking for 'the perfect' math curriculum for my math-loving ds. He's currently 2/3 of the way through AoPS Algebra 1. It's an ok fit. He's challenged enough by the course material to keep it interesting for him and I've seen his math muscle grow. However he doesn't love it, something about the format, I think. I've not ruled it out but I'm also looking around. 

Can anyone whose dc has done TC Geometry speak to its rigor? Ds did the Pre-Alg class a couple of years ago and did not feel challenged enough by it. Looking over the Geometry description it seems like perhaps this would be more rigorous. 

ETA Also wondering about Derek Owens for Geometry. 

Thoughts? Experience? Suggestions?

Edited by shukriyya

I believe DO still uses Jacob's for Geometry. I think DO Geometry has had good reviews here as a solid geometry course.

Not sure about TabletClass, but you might shoot Dereksurfs a PM. I think he used Tablet Class Algebra and, for whatever reason, did not continue w/ TC for Geometry. 

I find it helpful to look at the text used in a class. Sometimes it's pretty obvious whether or not something will work. My sons did Algebra I w/ DO and it went very well. However, we looked at the Jacob's text for the DO geometry class and found that we preferred a different text-Jurgensen. So, my boys did Geometry with WHA, which uses Jurgensen. My dd will do the same thing for geometry next year.

Edited by yvonne
  • Like 1

We used TC pre-A after dropping out of AoPS pre-A. It was great at first, but dd got bored silly watching the videos. It got worse as the year went on. She needs to be taught (not discovery method) but she catches on quickly and tunes out altogether if the instructor keeps speaking after she's gotten the point. (Which leads to missing key info. Sigh.)

I haven't tried DO. Dd15 is using Aleks to finish up Algebra 1. We may stay with that for geometry or try Math without Borders.

Edited by TKDmom
  • Like 1

I believe DO still uses Jacob's for Geometry. I think DO Geometry has had good reviews here as a solid geometry course.

Not sure about TabletClass, but you might shoot Dereksurfs a PM. I think he used Tablet Class Algebra and, for whatever reason, did not continue w/ TC for Geometry. 

I find it helpful to look at the text used in a class. Sometimes it's pretty obvious whether or not something will work. My sons did Algebra I w/ DO and it went very well. However, we looked at the Jacob's text for the DO geometry class and found that we preferred a different text-Jurgensen. So, my boys did Geometry with WHA, which uses Jurgensen. My dd will do the same thing for geometry next year.

This is a great idea. Thank you!

We used TC pre-A after dropping out of AoPS pre-A. It was great at first, but dd got bored silly watching the videos. It got worse as the year went on. She needs to be taught (not discovery method) but she catches on quickly and tunes out altogether if the instructor keeps speaking after she's gotten the point. (Which leads to missing key info. Sigh.)

I haven't tried DO. Dd15 is using Aleks to finish up Algebra 1. We may stay with that for geometry or try Math without Borders.

That was our experience with TC. We started with Pre-Alg and the same progression...good at first then boredom etc. I haven't seen Math without Borders and will check that out. AoPs has a couple of courses in between Alg and Alg2/Geometry that ds is interested in so we have some choices to make before he finishes up Alg1 next month.

Thank you both for taking the time to respond. It's been helpful.  :001_smile: