Menu

Above Grade Level Testing for End of Year

scbusf

Last year, I tested my 2 oldest kids with the Iowa test and I used the one for their grade level.  They both scored in the 99th percentile on everything.  

I'm in VA, and the testing requirement is that the composite score has to be in or above the 4th stanine.

This year, I'm planning on giving them the test for the grade level above where they currently would be in school.  I'm confident they will still score well above the requirement.  But I guess what I'm wondering is will the school district be concerned if their scores go below last year's score.  Or maybe they just check each year to see if the score is above the cutoff and don't compare them to the previous years.

Any input?  Thank you!

If you test through BJU, you can ask them to do a "score adjustment" (I think that's what it's called).  This is where they use the standard scores your students get on the above level test and report percentiles for the age grade.  I've done this several times.  You get two score reports--one with percentiles reported as compared to kids the year above and one compared to age mates.  It costs something like $20.

In Ohio, they only check for whether they fall below the threshold, not for progress from one year to another.  I assume it would be the same in VA, but it's worth checking to make sure.  We're going to try a new above-level test this year, and I'm hoping scores are lower (and more meaningful) than what we did in previous years.  

Edited by Staceyshoe