Menu

Zaner Bloser Word Wisdom

BusyMom5

Is anyone using this?  Opinions?  Can you compare it to another vocabulary program, like Wordly Wise?  How much time does it take, is it well-put-together and does it work well for homeschooling?  Do you kids like it or dread it?   I'd love any opinions :)  It looks like it's new to the HS-market, and I can't decide if I want to switch to this or not. 

• 10 months later...

I am using it right now. Using may be a strong word for it. I am sort of using it right now. I found that my son knew most of the words so I am doing a pre-test of all the words for him before we go through and do the lessons. So far my son has known so much that I just teach him a few words and he aces the test. So we haven't really got to the lessons. 

I did like the lessons though. I think it is well laid out and I will likely get the next level once we are done with this level. 

I should also state that I don't think it is below grade level, I just think that my son knows a lot of words, more then I thought he did. 

We just started using it, and my son likes it a lot. I haven't used Wordly Wise, but I've seen it. Word Wisdom, at least the 4th grade book, has the kids read through a passage with the vocab words in bold. Then it teaches them to use various strategies for figuring out the meanings, then checking the meanings using the dictionary in the back of the book. 

I like that it teaches strategies, and it lets the kids try to figure things out first. I like the custom dictionary so that the kids get more dictionary practice, but it doesn't take all day long to do it.

I like that it emphasizes word roots.

My son LOVES it. I think he'd do an entire unit per day if we weren't doing other stuff. He's not thrilled about starting school, but he genuinely enjoys this program, and I have no trouble getting him to do the exercises (we do a lot orally though). I got the teacher book to get the CD, but I don't know if we'll need it--things are sticking without games and activities. 

We are using one level above grade level because he has a big vocabulary already.

Note!!

This program has changed for 2017. I just talked to Zaner-Bloser and they told me that they are releasing an online component to this. They are also releasing an app for a tablet. The release to the program will be on the teachers manual for 2017. There are also minor changes in the program.

I also talked to Rainbow Resource. They are unsure when they will be getting the 2017 version. This was backed up by Zaner Bloser as they are focused on getting the 2017 version out to schools right now. 

I have a feeling that this will all be sorted in another month or so. So if you can wait, I would. 

As an alternative, the old editions are available on Amazon for a few dollars. I was able to get three levels of teacher's editions and student books for less than the cost of one teacher's edition. These old editions will not have the online component because the online component comes with the 2017 editions. Also, the old editions are simply the same editions that you can buy now before the release of the 2017 editions.

I love that they teach vocabulary in context and teach strategies to decipher unknown words when you encounter them in context...this is a valuable skill.

I was looking at the online samples. It appears that the student books have basically all the same stuff (per snapshots in the teacher guide), but the teacher guides are MUCH more streamlined--there aren't 101 references to standards on each page, for instance. 

I went to the site for the online resources. It had a registration page, and I decided to see if I could use it with my old version information (teacher material's ISBN). It will not let you register unless you are part of a SCHOOL. Under the list of job titles, it has no option for homeschool parent. You do have to look up a school by zip code and select from a list, or you get an error message that says to select a school (ditto for job title--I selected other). Once I had all my information in, I got an error that didn't have an information attached--I assume it's because I had an old ISBN. I selected our local school. I don't know if they compare job title to school, or just take your word for it if you have the right ISBN.

If you are waiting for a new version, you might want to contact Zaner-Bloser and find out if homeschoolers will be able to create online accounts to use the online materials (which sound like the things that used to be on the teacher CD). What if you don't have a local school that uses the curriculum, or what if you have to have a job title or name or something that matches the school?