Menu

Homeschooling gifted teens in Houston?

quark

Awesome, thank you! Her son is 14 and advanced in math, ready to begin calculus. Quite all rounded in other subject areas I believe. And highly athletic, very into both team and individual sport. He is keen to start DE sooner if possible. Do you know of any programs where he can do that?

Thanks again!

Awesome, thank you! Her son is 14 and advanced in math, ready to begin calculus. Quite all rounded in other subject areas I believe. And highly athletic, very into both team and individual sport. He is keen to start DE sooner if possible. Do you know of any programs where he can do that?

Thanks again!

If you're willing to pay and can pass the Compass, they may just let him in to Lonestar. If not, homeschoolers can attend high school part time (at least in some districts) and many offer Calc BC. A few magnet schools offer post-BC classes, but that might be harder to arrange than CC. There are lots of sports opportunities for homeschoolers but most are explicitly Christian. Some sports have extensive travel leagues that cost a lot of money but are not sectarian.

• Like 1

Does he need a "program"? Can't he take the SAT and apply to a university for DE?

DD enrolled part time at the university at age 14. She needed her high school transcript and standardized test score. For math, they'd have to take a placement test.

• Like 1

Lonestar (my local CC) costs about $90/credit. U of Houston Main Campus costs about $330. That cost differential is the explanation of why homeschoolers enroll in CC. There are very specific articulation agreements in place for all TX 4 years and CCs. It's fairly common for students already enrolled in UT or TAMU to take CC classes over the summer and the universities take those credits.

The main advantage of doing DE as a junior and senior is that Lonestar will allow you to enroll in 2 classes per semester for free. Even at their prices, that's a $2400 gift if you take a mix of 4 and 3 credit classes. Not every CC district in TX does this, but its common at the big CCs.

• Like 1

How about:

Texas Connections Academy   OR
Texas Virtual Academy  K12.com

if they have limited resources

these free public charters have AP and Honors classes (at least the AZ flavors of these schools do)

that could used for 9th and 10th grade then after the student reaches the junior year they can take the free DE courses

• Like 1

I will forward all these suggestions to her. I'm using the word "program" in a broad sense so yes, DE with a uni or virtual academies might work too. Just collecting any info I can for her actually. She will sift through them to decide. Thanks so much everyone!

Your friend could try asking Titu Andreescu for some advice. He teaches at UT Dallas but he is involved with high school math in Texas.

Another option for summer or just general advice that might be worth checking out is this:

http://www.txstate.edu/mathworks/camps.html

There is also a small, 2-week math camp in Texas that looked good to us a few years ago but I can't remember the name.

• Like 1