Menu

I thought it was time I sat down and compared these two in detail as I'm often asked about this, and my previous look at them was cursory.  I chose French, because I have the strongest background in this; it would be great if others compared different subjects, if they are interested.  The IGCSE samples are here; the SATST samples are here.  I'll be talking about both versions of the SATST - with and without listening.  I should say at this point that I think that both the UK and the US stink at teaching foreign languages, and the levels of the exams reflect that.  All corrections welcome.

IGCSE reading test - compulsory - 60 minutes - 40 questions - split between multi-choice and written answers 25% of total marks

- a 'warm up' very simple vocabulary test - multi choice 

- choose the short phrase that goes with the picture - present, conditional and near future tenses - multi choice

- Answer multi-choice questions based on a quite simple passage - present, near future, imperfect tenses; one idiomatic phrase

- choose the correct word to complete sentences based on another simple passage - present tense only 

- fairly complex passage and questions have to answered in long hand and in French - present, perfect, near future, imperfect, conditional tenses in passage 

- fairly complex passage - questions to be answered true/false - present, imperfect tenses; one idiomatic phrase in passage

- fairly complex passage - questions to be answered in long hand and in French - imperfect, present tenses; one idiomatic phrase in passage 

SAT Subject Test reading test - compulsory - 60 minutes or 40 minutes; either 85 or around 60 questions (depending on whether listening is taken too).

- part A - incomplete sentences, fairly complex vocabulary - present, perfect tenses

- part B - incomplete sentences to be complete with grammatically correct word - perfect, imperfect, present, conditional tenses

- part C - incomplete passage - choose the grammatically correct word  - present tense

- part D - complex passage - comprehension questions - present, imperfect tenses - feels idiomatic throughout

IGCSE Listening Test - compulsory - 45 minutes - all multi-choice - 25% of total marks

- short sentences and longer passages with questions to answer.  Early questions are very simple (time, directions, what's for supper, etc.).  The later passages are increasingly idiomatic

SAT Subject Test Listening Test - optional - 20 minutes - all multi-choice

- choosing the correct heard sentence to go with a picture

- answer questions about a short dialogue or spoken passage - fairly colloquial

- answer questions about longer passages - quite idiomatic 

IGCSE Speaking Test - Compulsory - 15 minutes - 25% of total marks

- pupil given 15 minutes to prepare two unscripted conversations for role play with the examiner.  Examples include: going to a restaurant with a friend; telling your landlord on the phone that you have lost your key; you have bought some trousers but there is a problem with them so you go back to the shop to exchange them; your flight is delayed and you need to call your friend to explain.

- pupil presents a short talk on a topic of their choosing that he has prepared in advance; examiner asks spontaneous questions on the topic

- general conversation, covering some of the vocabulary areas specified in the syllabus

IGCSE Writing Test - Compulsory - 60 minutes - 25% of total marks

- make a list of some places that you like to go

- write 80-90 words in continuous French describing a favourite singer, actor or musician

- write 130 to 140 words in continuous French on either a visit to a theme park, going shopping, or the day the train left without me

Conclusions

Yes, I think they are about equal in demands on pupils but for very different reasons.  Preparing for one exam would not fit you to do well on the other - you would need some adaptation time.

The SATST uses more complex passages in the reading test - they feel more 'adult' in the language structures used.  The SATST also tests grammar explicitly, which the IGCSE does not.  

On the other hand, the IGCSE requires the pupil to use the language actively - speaking for 15 minutes, and writing sentences and two paragraphs in French.  This replaces the grammar testing in the SATST.

The listening tests seemed similar to me, but I wasn't able to hear the speed at which the passages were delivered.

Another striking difference is that the question level within the SATST varies much less, whereas the IGCSE has easy 'warm-up' questions.  This reflects the structure of expected results in UK exams: it's fairly easy to get a 'C' pass (50% or so) but the difficulty ramps up quite markedly, so that the highest expected mark would be around 85% (A*).  

ETA: The impossibility of getting full marks reflects the active answer style in the IGCSE, as opposed to multiple choice.

L

• Like 10

• 4 weeks later...