Menu

AOPS algebra 2? And another AOPS question.

Reading a couple of older threads, I'm a bit confused. Is Intro to Algebra just algebra 1, or is it algebra 1 & 2? What, then, is the Intermediate Algebra?

Also...

We have no choice but to switch programs, although we're pleased with what we're using (CLE Algebra; supplementing the word problems). DD wants something "different", so I'm going to try AOPS. Not the online classes (considered, but they move too fast for her). Should I have her re-do Algebra 1, to get used to the AOPS "way"? I do not want her to be bored, if it absolutely isn't necessary, but I also do not mind her repeating Algebra 1 if it IS necessary (or even just "a good idea") to start from the beginning with AOPS. Even if she does algebra 1 over again, she'll only be in grade 8 next year, so we'd still be able to get through Calc by the end of high school, and I'm good with that.

Intro to algebra covers the AOPS algebra 1 and 2 classes, while intermediate is their algebra 3. 

As far as comparison to a standard scope and sequence, AOPS covers everything from algebra 1 and quite a lot of algebra 2 in their intro book (frankly I would say it covers pretty much everything from a non-honors algebra 2, but there is algebra in foerster's algebra 2 which is not yet covered, although not much), while their intermediate book covers up through the algebra part of a precalculus textbook as well as many additional topics. 

There are very few chapters in the Intro to algebra book that is not in California's algebra 1 standards so I treat the intro book as algebra 1 with enrichment.

I haven't do a proper tally to my state standards for the intermediate algebra book but I'm just going to treat it as California algebra 2 on transcript if my boys go back to B&M for high school.

Has she tried the problems on Alcumus? Having the Intro book for review was useful for my kids. They each have a copy since older is rough on math textbooks.