Menu

Language arts for the natural reader and writer

DD7 has a deep love for reading and writing. We don't use a formal "reading" program but we have several book lists we are following along with reading living books in each subject area. 

Because she is a natural speller, I've decided to drop formal spelling. I purchased Caesar's English with the intent of starting it "when she is ready," but after looking through the whole book, I see no reason to wait. She is ready. 

I mainly need help with writing and grammar.

We have done a bit of WWE but she has already mastered the skills of narration and dictation so I've dropped it. I am not sure where to go next with writing. My gut tells me to just let her write on her own with out a formal program but I'm still not sure. She writes well and often. I don't have to prompt her to practice writing, she always has a pencil in her hand. Of course, she still has a lot to learn about writing, but I feel like now is not the time to push it. I have not been impressed with any writing program I've seen. Can someone just tell me it is okay to drop writing for now? If not, can you recommend something that we would enjoy?

For grammar, we just finished FLL 3 and will be starting 4 in a couple of weeks. (I just updated my sig today.) We have done well with the FLL series and I expect that we will enjoy level 4. We have progressed much faster than I anticipated with grammar but DD seems to understand it before we learn it. Looking forward, I have no idea where to go with Grammar after FLL4. It seems like there are so many grammar options out there. Too many! I am really having a hard time sifting through all of the options to find something that will work well for us. After reading through Caesar's English, I feel like we may want to give MCT a try. The only other thing I have considered is Rod and Staff for Grammar. The samples I've seen online for both programs don't seem to help. Any input or ideas for us?

I really like the combo of MCT + Don Killgallon's sentence composing/applied grammar materials. "Town" is probably where you would want to start, though if your budget permits, "Sentence Island" is a very charming book and you could do it with your 5 y.o. as well.

I wouldn't use Rod & Staff for religious reasons but I've seen it at our local support group's curriculum fair. It reminded me very much of the old Catholic edition of Voyages of English. That was one of our biggest flops EVER in my 8 years of HSing.

The NaNoWriMo workbooks are good and available to download FREE: http://ywp.nanowrimo.org/workbooks

When she's a bit older, she might like "The Plot Whisperer" by Martha Alderson.