Menu

Can someone help me with OUP history?

I'm thinking about using OUP history starting in the fall for DS. I've searched on the forums but can't find these answers.

Is there a place where I can see the whole series? Amazon is a bit scattershot and I can't find everything on the OUP web site. I can find individual titles of books if I search for them, but I'm also interested in finding which books have supplementary materials and what they are. Without the names of the supplements I'm not finding anything.

Also, I have a rough idea of how late in history these go based upon the title of the last chapter (something about "heads rolling" and "democracy"  :lol: ) but I'm not sure what to do for later periods. Are there other books of this caliber and style, aimed at middle school, not necessarily OUP, to carry me through ~1980s-1990s? Any idea if OUP is planning to continue with later periods in these series?

Amazon has had the whole series that you can buy as a set in the past. 

The World in Ancient Times:

• The Early Human World
  • The Ancient Near Eastern World
  • The Ancient Egyptian World
  • The Ancient South Asian World
  • The Ancient Chinese World
  • The Ancient Greek World
  • The Ancient Roman World
  • The Ancient American World
  • The World in Ancient Times: Primary Sources and Reference Volume

The Medieval and Early Modern World

• The European World, 400-1450
  • The African and Middle Eastern World, 600-1500
  • The Asian World, 600-1500
  • An Age of Empires, 1200-1750
  • An Age of Voyages, 1350-1600
  • An Age of Science and Revolutions, 1600-1800
  • The Medieval and Early Modern World: Primary Sources & Reference Volume

Each text has a Student Study Guide and a Teaching Guide.

I liked some of the Teaching Guides because some have additional book recommendations, teaching resources, and websites.

I would recommend buying just one TG and SG at a time and seeing if you use them.

Personally, I'd get the TG as I went and skip the SG.

And after The Medieval and Early Modern World, OUP has the Pages from History series. That is intended for a late middle school/early high school audience (dd read the US-centric volumes this year as part of US History).

This listing is in alphabetical order, not chronological, but it will give you an idea http://global.oup.com/academic/content/series/p/pages-from-history-ph/;jsessionid=3D06233128AAA9136440F08CEA34BED3?cc=us&lang=en&

We borrowed all the World in Ancient Times, Medieval and Early Modern World, and Pages from History volumes from our fabulous library system. I didn't use any of the guides as we just discussed as we went along :)

Thanks and sorry I disappeared after asking. I had a bit of a family emergency.

Unfortunately our well-stocked library (5 stories!) doesn't have the books., which is surprising to me. I might get one and then put in a request with them for the set if I like it.

I checked out the Pages from History link and they look great. Are there guides to go along with them? I didn't see any.

No, no guides for Pages from History. We read and discussed the writings as we went along. I found primary source context/discussion sheets somewhere on the Library of Congress website. There are forms for every type of primary source----letters, speeches, diaries, photographs, editorial cartoons, etc. We will continue to use those forms throughout high school as needed.

On my phone so I don't have access to my links. I'll link later today :)

And after The Medieval and Early Modern World, OUP has the Pages from History series. That is intended for a late middle school/early high school audience (dd read the US-centric volumes this year as part of US History).

This listing is in alphabetical order, not chronological, but it will give you an idea http://global.oup.com/academic/content/series/p/pages-from-history-ph/;jsessionid=3D06233128AAA9136440F08CEA34BED3?cc=us&lang=en&

We borrowed all the World in Ancient Times, Medieval and Early Modern World, and Pages from History volumes from our fabulous library system. I didn't use any of the guides as we just discussed as we went along :)

Wow, these look great! our library has 10 of them! Yay!!