Menu

Grammar less Amero-centric than ABeka?

Amy M

I recently posted on my blog some comparisons I had done to help myself sort out some grammar options, and when I discussed Rod and Staff (and ABeka the week before) a friend asked the following:

"I do not have any children, but we do run a boarding school for the deaf and I will be hopefully starting a grammar school for deaf adults here in India. I like ABB grammar, but agree with you on the composition, I wish that it was in a separate book. In your studies have you noticed any that books that are a little less American? Many of the sentences reference American holidays, cities, names, etc. Any help would be appreciated."

So I thought I would ask y'all over here--what would be some good grammar suggestions for her setting? She'd probably want something Christian, but might not mind secular; just less Amero-centric than ABeka. TIA!

Just about anything would be less "Amero-centric" than Abeka. I think they take the cake.

Rod and Staff was written with small school in mind and would probably be a big help. Though, maybe something like Analytical Grammar (secular) would be better suited to adults?

That's interesting. I didn't know that. Is it thorough? does it teach diagramming? Do you have a link to it?

This is the one of which I was speaking. There is also this one. I don't know whether they are different or whether the second one is just updated.

I don't know whether it teaches diagramming. There is an excellent, inexpensive diagramming book here.