Menu

Grammar program for 7th and 8th graders?

What are your suggestions for best option for my 7th and 8th grade dds for a grammar/ English program that is thorough, includes diagramming, and is easy to teach? I would like to teach them together and Christian content is a definite plus. They have had several beginning grammar years, but it is not a natural subject for either dd. Thanks!

What are your suggestions for best option for my 7th and 8th grade dds for a grammar/ English program that is thorough, includes diagramming, and is easy to teach? I would like to teach them together and Christian content is a definite plus. They have had several beginning grammar years, but it is not a natural subject for either dd. Thanks!

I like Rod and Staff. Start with the fifth grade book. It is easy to teach, has oral review, and Christian content.

My vote would go to Rod and Staff, but I would put them in the 6 book together. 6 will cover everything that was important in the 5 book, and starts at the beginning with diagramming basic skeletons. The teacher edition will hold your hand as much as you need it to.

My vote would go to Rod and Staff, but I would put them in the 6 book together. 6 will cover everything that was important in the 5 book, and starts at the beginning with diagramming basic skeletons. The teacher edition will hold your hand as much as you need it to.

I agree with this. This is exactly what I recommend.

(We think alike, Moon.)

Thank you, ladies. Why the 6th grade book instead of the 5th? I actually have all the R&S books from 3rd grade up. My other 3 students have used them with great success. These two dds have had a hard time focusing on and learning grammar/ English. One is dyslexic and the other may have some slight learning issues with these areas. I started the 4th grade book with them two years ago and gave up. However after some Winston Grammar, copy work and WWE, and more maturity, I think we may be able to tackle R&S again. For writing, they will do History summaries plus the writing in R&S, plus some of WWE4 during weeks without other writing assignments. Then next year, hopefully they'll be ready for WWS 1 and continue with R&S. The 6th grade book looks like it is for an older audience. I think they might like that better. How does that sound? Lillian

Thank you, ladies. Why the 6th grade book instead of the 5th? I actually have all the R&S books from 3rd grade up. My other 3 students have used them with great success. These two dds have had a hard time focusing on and learning grammar/ English. One is dyslexic and the other may have some slight learning issues with these areas. I started the 4th grade book with them two years ago and gave up. However after some Winston Grammar, copy work and WWE, and more maturity, I think we may be able to tackle R&S again. For writing, they will do History summaries plus the writing in R&S, plus some of WWE4 during weeks without other writing assignments. Then next year, hopefully they'll be ready for WWS 1 and continue with R&S. The 6th grade book looks like it is for an older audience. I think they might like that better. How does that sound? Lillian

5 has good grammar instruction, yes, but I can't imagine handing it to an 8th grader. Doing 6 at half speed would maintain their dignity more than racing through a 5 book. 

6 is meant for an older kid, and 7 even more so. If you're concerned about 6 moving too fast you can do each lesson evenly across two days. Oral drill and odds of the review on one day, written drill and evens of the review the next. With the ground work you've laid I imagine you'll be pleasantly surprised at how well they do.

Thank you, ladies! I just ordered what I need for R&S English 6. We will take it slow and steady and aim for mastery. I also ordered Apples and Pears Spelling for my dyslexic dd which will work well for her, I think. For writing, we will do the exercises in R&S along with narrations/ summaries in History. We will also do some copywork from LLATL for my dyslexic dd and some of WWE 4 for other dd for this year. Hopefully next year they can both move on to WWS. How does that sound? Thank you for your input! Lillian