Menu

8th Grade Plans

What are your plans for 8th grade? I don't see one of these started on the Logic stage subforum for this year. If you see anything I have missed, let me know. Also, I haven't totally finished planning so have a few questions. He will be doing 2 subjects in ps.

Band--public high school (every day for gr 8)

Honours math ps(all year; first hon math concepts, then hon Algebra 1)

Trumpet & piano lessons (my folks pay for the piano lessons)

Music theory; thinking of Music Ace--has anyone used this?

Note: we are leaning to specializing in music & science in high school as he is talented in music & wants to be either a pilot or an aeronautical engineer

English: Lightning Lit (to be followed next year by Windows to the World, which I already own), writing with a fabulous homeschool writing teacher, a grammar review (suggestions?), vocab (suggestions? I'm thinking of Word Within a Word plus continuing Rosetta Stone German for vocab building not foreign language credit as he wants to do a different language next year).

Science The Illustrated Guide to Home Forensic Science Experiments (lab heavy, already ordered)

History Streams of Civilization Vol 1 is what we're leaning toward. We are keeping this on the history light side, although he will do audio books for some of the WTM reading suggestions as he might end up going to full time ps by his jr year, so we're following what they do just enough that he can have most or all of his history credits done. It may not stay light every year, but for this transitional year as he has a lot on his plate.

Logic still deciding between the Bluedorn books & Traditional Logic, which we own all 3 of.

Phys Ed Swim team & cross fit; he also wants to try baseball next spring for the first time, so he'd give up his swim clinic (okay by me; he's not nationals swim material based on all we've seen so far)

Typing Instructor Deluxe

I keep thinking I'm missing something, but he's not taking art or handwriting anymore.

I think we will have a redo of 8th grade due to a number of issues but his classes will be primarily high school level.

English: Laurel Tree Tutorials - HS Composition, probably Hake Grammar 8, he is an avid reader across the spectrum

Math: Redo Pre-Algebra and Algebra1

Physics: Conceptual Physics

History: German History from 1700-1914

Latin 1A: Lukeion

German: age appropriate literature, writing (he will do some of his assignments in German), continue to speak German

Computer Science: AoPS Java Programming

Extracurricular: Fencing, Toastmasters and/or DeMolay