Menu

Ugh.. how do I handle this child?

Mynyel

He has been my problem child from birth! :)

This is just for this instance though. He has been doing this of late and I don't like it but I don't know how to get him to stop. He can't control his temper. He gets mad at something his brother does and attacks his face. I mean grabs it like he is going to try to rip his nose, cheeks or whatever off. My middle son also wears glasses so when the younger does this he sometimes flings off the glasses. The glasses aren't cheap.

I send him to his room but that doesn't help. He just pitches fits and makes noise and carries on.

I don't spank him as I feel that is contrary to what I want to teach him which is not to touch in anger.

Suggestions?

Does he have an activity that he absolutely loves to do or any type of gaming? My DD loses her Kindle if she misbehaves. She thinks it is the absolute worst.

(I'm sorry, I thought the children were older. I need more coffee.)

THis is the 4.5yo, right? Sounds like he needs to absolutely lose his "brother privledges"... can't be nice to your brother, then you can't play with him. That means you will probably have to keep him right by you most of the time so that he doesn't find some other way to get in trouble. Separating the boys has the benefit of finding out which kiddo is really causing the problem - is it the 4yo with the temper or is it the mean teasing 11yo who is provoking it.

In general, I favor the "send him to his room" until he calms down method. You just have to learn to totally ignore the fit pitching and noise until he is done with it.

I would tomato stake him. Keep him within eye shot at all times and intervene when he starts down the path. Help him learn to control himself. Make it training not discipline. Also, I'd make him a useful part of the home - with chores and helping. Encourage him when he does right and makes good choices. FWIW I never have sent kids away when they were unpleasant. When I was a kid I'd brood and stew in my anger and sin. I've found it passes faster if it's in my face and I'm forced to deal with them. HTH!!

Yes he is VERY sensory seeking. Very. Very Very.

So, you may want to consider an evaluation. It could be severe enough that professional OT would help. It's also common for sensory seekers to have other areas of need.

But in the meantime, you can help him most by being *proactive* rather than reactive. You need to increase his sensory input. Sensory seekers often don't feel or process sensory input like neurotypicals. They therefore are often a quirky combination of under sensitive to physical input and yet have some triggers where they are over sensitive.

You need to increase his sensory input - this will help him not seek sensation inappropriately and it will help disspate the anger.

Discipline ideas and techniques won't be helpful until we can get his *body* regulated somewhat.

Does he have an activity that he absolutely loves to do or any type of gaming? My DD loses her Kindle if she misbehaves. She thinks it is the absolute worst.

(I'm sorry, I thought these were older children. I must need more coffee.)