Menu

What do you use with your special needs kids in LA?

We're bringing our special needs dd back home. Yes, it's the end of July and all I have purchased is Math. I could use some help. She will be in 4th grade. She has dyslexia, dysgrahia and dyscalculia plus the short term memory issues that kids with Fetal Alcohol have.

Spelling

I'm going to use Laurie4b's spelling suggestions for her. we did that before she went to school and even though she was significantly behind she could learn. She is very visual. She sees the words.

Grammar

Clueless. I could use some suggestions.

Reading

We'll be doing some of the easier SL Core 4 readers that we didn't get to and I will be adding in others.

Vocab

clueless

Writing

Once again, clueless. She will be doing compostion on the computer because of the dysgraphia.

I'm drawn to PHP's products because we used FLL 1 and 2 with her older sister and it went well. I'm afraid it will be too much writing for this kiddo.

This kid really hates school at this point so I don't wnat to do too much. She has to have one-on-one instruction also. Thanks for the help.

I think I'd use FLL and WWE. Both can be modified for only a bit of writing. FLL3 and WWE level 2 both have workbooks available, lessons all laid out. How about SOTW or CHOW with oral narration and map work for History? For reading, in addition to the Sonlight readers, how about the Elson Readers? http://www.lostclassicsbooks.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.100.exe/index2.htm?L+scstore+xjlk7862ff902290+1217303811 She can read a portion aloud to you then answer the comprehension question orally. I would add alot of read alouds by you, or audio books from the library. Unless she has a real interest, I wouldn't worry much about Science. Maybe a nature notebook and nature walks identifying birds, trees, flowers.

I really like the PHP materials. They're well laid-out, pick-up and go curriculum, but still interesting and gentle.

I think I'd use FLL and WWE. Both can be modified for only a bit of writing. FLL3 and WWE level 2 both have workbooks available, lessons all laid out. How about SOTW or CHOW with oral narration and map work for History? For reading, in addition to the Sonlight readers, how about the Elson Readers? http://www.lostclassicsbooks.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.100.exe/index2.htm?L+scstore+xjlk7862ff902290+1217303811 She can read a portion aloud to you then answer the comprehension question orally. I would add alot of read alouds by you, or audio books from the library. Unless she has a real interest, I wouldn't worry much about Science. Maybe a nature notebook and nature walks identifying birds, trees, flowers.

I really like the PHP materials. They're well laid-out, pick-up and go curriculum, but still interesting and gentle.

Do you think FLL/WWE could be used by a non-reader? My son can sound out basic CVC words now and a few longer lones, but I'd still consider him a beginning reader. I never really thought @ wwe/fll with him, but I wonder if that might be a good fit?

Do you think FLL/WWE could be used by a non-reader? My son can sound out basic CVC words now and a few longer lones, but I'd still consider him a beginning reader. I never really thought @ wwe/fll with him, but I wonder if that might be a good fit?

Level 1 of WWE is primarily narration and copywork, so reading isn't really necessary, but handwriting is. He'd need to be able to copy simple sentences.

Has he done FLL 1/2 already? I wouldn't necessary set aside R&S if it's working for you. But, FLL includes gentle memory work, which may be difficult for a kiddo with memory issues, but also really beneficial. Again, reading wouldn't be necessary. I think both these programs are super gentle but really effective. My qualifier, obviously, I haven't used WWE. I intend to use level 3 and/or 4 with my 9(soon to be 10)ds ADD'er. I've seen the level 1 WWE workbook. Peacehill Press mistakenly shipped the workbook to some of use who ordered the textbook.

HTH, Stacy

Rod & Staff English (Grades 2-8). We do the lessons in the book orally and then he would fill in the appropriate worksheet (if there was one for that lesson)

Handwriting Without Tears (PreK through 5th Grade). I love this program!!!

Natural Speller (Grades 2-8). One book covers grades 2-8, with small lists for each grade, broken down by spelling rules / phonetic rules. Another great program!!!

Level 1 of WWE is primarily narration and copywork, so reading isn't really necessary, but handwriting is. He'd need to be able to copy simple sentences.

Has he done FLL 1/2 already? I wouldn't necessary set aside R&S if it's working for you. But, FLL includes gentle memory work, which may be difficult for a kiddo with memory issues, but also really beneficial. Again, reading wouldn't be necessary. I think both these programs are super gentle but really effective. My qualifier, obviously, I haven't used WWE. I intend to use level 3 and/or 4 with my 9(soon to be 10)ds ADD'er. I've seen the level 1 WWE workbook. Peacehill Press mistakenly shipped the workbook to some of use who ordered the textbook.

HTH, Stacy

We did @ 1/2 of R&S 2 last year, but I don't know how much has stuck so if we did FLL I'd probably start at the beginning. If we did WWE he could copy some simple sentences and might even be able to sound a few of the words out now. I do like R&S, but I really like that FLL and WWE would have memory work for him. I was thinking of incuding him in the memory work my older kids are doing, but I don't think he could keep up and I think it would not work too well.

My DS is 12, with severe ADHD, non verbal learning disability, dyscalculia, dysgraphia. Very poor comprehension and retention.

Grammar: Basic Grammar Plus, book 1. Got this from Rainbow Resource. It is described as being for "slow learners" and I'd agree with that assessment. It is a workbook format, two pages per lesson, clear explanations and directions.

Spelling: Apples and Pears. We're on Book B. This is the greatest spelling program for my DS.

Writing: Using Jump In! from Apologia, along with Writing Fabulous Sentences and Paragraphs from Evan-Moor. I'm not sure how much DS is actually gaining from either of these, but it's the first time he's not complaining about writing, the lessons in both books are VERY short, and both break writing instruction down into very small, easy chunks.

Reading: Reading Detective book 1 for comprehension. I don't follow any particular reading program beyond that. I just check out library books I think DS will enjoy, and require him to read half hour each day. I don't worry about matching his readers to history topics. He does read on grade level, his only academic subject on grade level, actually. I read literature to him half hour daily, these books normally do correspond to our history topic.

Michelle T

We did @ 1/2 of R&S 2 last year, but I don't know how much has stuck so if we did FLL I'd probably start at the beginning. If we did WWE he could copy some simple sentences and might even be able to sound a few of the words out now. I do like R&S, but I really like that FLL and WWE would have memory work for him. I was thinking of incuding him in the memory work my older kids are doing, but I don't think he could keep up and I think it would not work too well.

The good thing about WWE is that you could still work on foundational writing skills, via narration and copywork, even though he's not reading and handwriting is difficult. It sounds like a good plan. :001_smile:

The good thing about WWE is that you could still work on foundational writing skills, via narration and copywork, even though he's not reading and handwriting is difficult. It sounds like a good plan. :001_smile:

I think we will switch plans and go with wwe/fll instead of R&S. I really think this might be a better fit for him and a more gentle approach. Thanks for the help!

For vocabulary, my daughter's tutor showed me Johnson O'Connor Vocabulary. She said it's got words they would actually use in conversation and writing and come across in every day life. That works for me. I bought the set (and this is funny, I bought it online with my credit card, and the company name showed up as "Human Engineering"...hmmm, scary -- and I couldn't figure out what it was for a few days until the package arrived).

The tutor told me to start with Book A even though my dd is older (there's Books A-D then 1-8); it gives a firm foundation. And confidence, because there will be success with the easier words and she can progress through pretty fast. She says it's vocabulary study that make sense. Haven't used it yet, I'm going to start in Sept.