Menu

Which physical science course?

Dd14 is no longer homeschooled but I thought I'd ask for opinions.

She's currently in Honors Biology and finds it an easy class. She's been recommended to take Honors Chemistry but everyone she knows who has taken it or is in it says it's a really hard class with a stupid teacher. Because of homeschooling, she did not get a physical science credit. Lots of freshman got that as 8th graders. She has a choice to take Physical Science next year or wait until senior year and try Physics. I personally don't think she's inclined towards that heavy duty science. She's wondering if her transcript will look bad if she has an easy class like Phys. Science. She won't be applying to top colleges, only state schools in Georgia. One she is interested in is U.G.A. which we hear is hard to get into. How do we make this important decision? She has to choose between on-level Chemistry, Honors Chemistry, or Physical Science. She's leaning towards phys. science for 10th grade.

I'd be inclined to choose regular chemistry over physical science. If students in your area typically do physical science in 8th grade, I don't think it would look good to have it on the transcript for 10th. I'd also suggest going ahead with regular physics after chemistry (in either 11th or 12th grade). Imo, having all 3 of the major sciences in high school keeps one's options the most open--both for college admission and for paving the way to doing well in college science courses (oftentimes required even for non-science majors.) They don't have to be honors.

Start by looking at this thread.

I don't think Physical Science looks unusual at all to colleges. Many high schools offer it and some require it. Colleges are used to seeing it.

If she took Physical Science, would she be ready for honors Chemistry the next year? If she prefers to take regular Chemistry, I would encourage her to go ahead and do that and skip Physical Science.

I agree with Musicmom. If you look at even a handful of colleges and their requirements, you will see that Physics, Biology, and Chemistry are most often listed. The high schools in our area do not even offer a physical science course as it is covered in eighth grade. I would think that moving from Honors Biology to a very basic science course would make your dd appear less competitive.

Thank you for the feedback. I will share this with her and hope we can come to a decision. Her open enrollment period ends in a couple of weeks and she's so torn about making sure she has the right classes. She wants to major in Psychology but has no idea which colleges would be best for that degree, so right now we're just guessing what she may really need. She's also in Honors English and it's her most stressful course. She's thinking of dropping down to on-level English but if she takes regular Chemistry, I don't think I want her to drop down in English too. Oh decisions!