Menu

We are hoping to go camping this month with the kids. Other than staying at a cabin 2 years ago for a couple of nights, we haven't been camping since we had kids. I used to go all of the time. At least 12 times a year, sometimes every weekend year round. But it's been SO long. We have next to no money, so we can't afford anything fancy or unnecessary. We have the tent and cooler already. I think we have some sleeping bags. I don't want to bother with air mattresses.

I would like to cook the food over the fire or on a grill. My kids are VERY into the Little House on the Prairie, so I think they'll want a lot of corncakes and such. We are gluten free. Anyone know what all basics we'll need on a budget? We'll be camping in Shawnee, so we don't need cold weather gear or anything to fight off alligators. ;)

I would also like to teach the kids (and myself) some survival skills-how to build up a fire, etc. Does anyone know of good resources online or in books for this? We watch Survivorman a lot.

Figured I'd bump this for you. We camp a lot, but I don't know a thing about gluten free. I also learned fire and camping things from my dad, and in general, experimenting.

Are you doing things/seeing places while camping or are you looking for ideas on how to spend a day mostly at a campsite? If the former, hiking boots are a great idea, but that might go against "no money." Take what you have, but be sure there's a good sole. If the latter, books and inexpensive games (like bocci ball and/or card games) come in handy.

Hand sanitizer should be on your list. It can be difficult to wash hands while camping. Bug spray is sometimes a NEED.

We have some experience camping with kids, though are still working on it all the time! I wrote a blog post about it at one point, and also one on activities.

My "best" tips, I think, are to bring a potty so kids don't have to make a long trip to the bathrooms in the middle of the night. Even my 9 year old still likes to go on it, rather than making the trip. We also bring kid-sized shovels and they usually busy themselves digging a hole for hours and hours. Important rule: one hole, off to the side, so we don't break our ankles in the middle of the night. And be sure to fill it back up before you leave.

While it can feel daunting, we do always love camping once we're actually out there. Have fun!

I think my kids would be thrilled to dig holes. :lol: We will be camping at Shawnee and spending most of the day hiking and exploring. I think we might have to take our dog.

We will definitely stock up on bug spray. Usually the mosquitos aren't bad yet, but they're already out like crazy this year. :(

We just got back from a camping trip and the simplier the better. My camping musts are an air mattress for me and my dh, lantern, and inexpensive propane burner.

If it is cold in the mornings you are going to want something hot to drink right away. The propane stove is great for heating water. Much faster than building a fire and waiting for the water to boil. Also if we are going hiking all day I like to start my children out with some protein like eggs and sausage. The propane burner cooks eggs wonderfully. I bought some pans from the thrift store but you can bring your own: one fry pan and a stock pot for water will do it.

The lantern is helpful at night expecially if it is dark when you are cleaning up the camp site. At camp grounds with bears you need to put everything away in your car or a bear box at night. It is so much easier to have a latern lighting the camp site than trying to clean up holding a flash light.

My children use the skewers to roast marshmellows and hot dogs.

I prep as much food at home as possible so all we really do camping is to reheat: brown sausage for breakfast, brown ground beef for hobos, hard boil eggs for lunch, cut up tons of veggies and wash fruit at home.

My children's favorite camping dinner are hobos: on a sheet of non-stick heavy duty tin foil add little butter, ground beef, onion, potatoes cut small, corn, and carrots. Make individual packs and put packs over coals for 1/2 hour until everything is cooked through. You can also cook corn-on the cob that way, shuck first and wrap in foil.

My friend saves her dryer lint for an easy fire starter.

Have fun!

P.S. If you think it is going to rain then I would spring for air mattresses for the children. We had a full night of rain and a leaky tent. Our kids stayed dry since they were off the ground on air mattresses. They are expensive but will last forever. We have had ours over 10 years and they are still going strong. Our friend use cots instead of air mattresses since they had them already for over night guests.

Edited by Ferdie