Menu

AAS - what exactly do I need for 4 kids?

MeganW

It looks like the following materials are available for AAS:

- letter tiles

- magnets for letter tiles

- phonogram CD

- spelling divider cards ($5)

- spelling review box ($10)

- Level 1 teacher manual

- Level 1 student packet ($15)

- 3 phonics readers

I hope to take 3 or 4 kids through the program simultaneously.

So, what should I be buying? Do I really need separate boxes, dividers & student packets for each child? Honestly, that sounds like a huge hassle to keep up with! Is all that really necessary? Or is there a better way to make this work with a group? THANKS!

- letter tiles

- phonogram CD

- Level 1 teacher manual

- 3 phonics readers

So, what should I be buying? Do I really need separate boxes, dividers & student packets for each child? Honestly, that sounds like a huge hassle to keep up with! Is all that really necessary? Or is there a better way to make this work with a group? THANKS!

If you are going to take several through together as one "class" or group, then just get one set per group, rather than one set per individual.

The review cards from the student packets allow you to customize the review, so that you can work on words or concepts as much or as little as each needs. So when you use it for a group, you would just have every child in the group review until they all have it mastered.

If any of your kids really struggle or have a learning disability, they would probably be better served by doing review individually--so they would need their own materials packet and divider cards.

I don't find the different boxes hard to keep up with, but I only have 2 children. One of my friends has 3 going through it and another has 4--the boxes really help you keep everyone's review separate and organized.

HTH some! Merry :-)

- letter tiles

- phonogram CD

- Level 1 teacher manual

- 3 phonics readers

I never got any boxes or dividers or the phongram cd. I also never got any letter tiles or magnets. I got the teacher manual and the student pack, and we used a white board and markers. I put the cards in seperate baggies. It worked really well. I guess if your teaching style works better with pulling letter tiles around a magnetic board you could probably just make some, it isn't like they come with magnets on them to begin with so it would be cheaper to to print out your own on cardstock. I guess the boxes and dividers are nice, but not necessary. FYI, I don't think that you need more than one student pack either.

I use a plastic (Sterilite?) index card box from Walmart (less than $2). When I first started out, I used the regular "recipe" box size, but have now stepped up to the box that is one size larger. I really like these b/c they have the flip lid on them. Also, they were recommended on this board. When I use the larger size, I use a pack of regular index cards to take up some of the excess space. When we come across an extra word that needs to be added to our stack b/c we need more practice, I just make a new card out of the index cards and stick it in the review pile. (There are sometimes extra practice words in the lesson that are not on the cards.) Also, do you need to buy extra divider cards? I thought that the regular ones came with the student sets. Are you looking at the sets that include the tiles, magnets, etc? I never had a phonogram cd. My kids could sound out their letters better than I could b/c of watching Letter Factory. You will also need some sort of metal surface for the magnetic tiles. It's been a while, but I think we got a nice magnetic white board from Target for about $20-$25.

hth