Menu

Teens and sleeping in

This is one of those few times I keep wavering back and forth: is it better to let teens stay up late and sleep in if their body clock seems to be wired that way? My DS would happily stay up till midnight doing whatever: schoolwork, reading, iPod etc... and then sleep in till 9 or so.

Having been raised with the "Early to bed, early to rise..." refrain ringing in my ears, I always wonder what's the right way to go. Any ideas?

To be honest, this is a battle I'd rather not fight. And in our house, it would probably turn into a battle. My oldest dd is like your son, has been since she was about 10 or 11, and I let her be. That said, this year she has a math class two days a week for which we must leave the house at 7 a.m., an online class that starts at 5 a.m. one day (east coast school and we're on the west coast), and another online class that starts at 6.45. She has "risen to the occasion" for these things, though not too happily at first. ;) But as long as she's doing what needs to be done in her life, I let her sleep.

This is one of those few times I keep wavering back and forth: is it better to let teens stay up late and sleep in if their body clock seems to be wired that way? My DS would happily stay up till midnight doing whatever: schoolwork, reading, iPod etc... and then sleep in till 9 or so.

Having been raised with the "Early to bed, early to rise..." refrain ringing in my ears, I always wonder what's the right way to go. Any ideas?

My whole family is wired that way, so I have no problem with it. My teens never had any problems adjusting to a different (and earlier) schedule when necessary. :)

I'm in the "let it be" camp as well. Ds has always been a night owl - he just plain can't sleep until midnight or so - and he normally wakes at 8 or 9. His attitude and school work don't suffer for it, and the only time this varies is when he's sick or growing like crazy.

The couple of times per week that he has to be up early, he is - without complaint. The rest of the time, I don't really see the point in making him conform to something he's not wired for, simply to fit someone else's notion of what our schedule should be, know what I mean? If he needs to, he's up and functioning...the rest of the time, if he needs the sleep, he gets it. If not, he's up earlier. Easy as that. :)

If it gets to the point that attitudes and work are falling by the wayside, I'd revisit the issue...if those are fine, I wouldn't worry about it. JMHO!