Menu

Transitioning from homeschool to high school in NJ.... X posted on general..

Hello all,

I'm hoping for some sound advice on how you've managed the transition from homeschool to highschool. Ds will remain home this year for 8th grade but will attend our local high school beginning in 9th. I'm wondering what type of information I need to supply the school to get him appropriately placed academically. NJ requires no standardized testing for homeschoolers, and we haven't tested in some years. Would a transcript or portfolio be a good idea? I'm wondering how involved I should get.

Any advice is appreciated, particularly if you're in NJ.

Thanks, Stacy

I have a friend who transitioned 2 of her kids into 9th grade public school (in the town of Summit) from homeschooling. She definitely had to prepare a transcript, and also her kids were required to take the final exam for Alg. I that was given to the school's 8th grade students in order to not have to repeat the course. They also had to do the same in English.

The math was a big deal for her oldest because it was textbook specific and her son had not used the same textbook as the public school uses. For her 2nd oldest, she made sure that she used the same 8th grade algebra textbook that the school used to make the placement test easier.

I would definitely suggest contacting the school at the beginning of 8th grade so that you know exactly what will be expected to place into the honors/advanced classes (if that is your goal).

Nancy (now in NC rather than NJ!)

I once spoke to an administrator in a neighboring district who said they would let homeschoolers who were planning to enter ps the following year take the NJ ASK. In our district, they use ASK scores for math placement. You may want to check with your district about this. The ASK is usually given in March here, I think.

Also, you'll want to have a transcript and immunization records with you, possibly a photocopy of your dc's birth certificate.

Don't volunteer a portfolio.

Have your ds take a standardized test (such as the CAT) and take the results with you, even if your ds is allowed to take the NJ ASK. Those scores should support the results of your ds's transcript.

maybe necessary. He'll be taking Algebra I via The Potter's School, so I'm wondering whether I should have him take the ASK and do some prep for that, or just use the CAT as Ellie suggests.

I was hoping not to have to devote time to test prep, but it looks like that might be the best way to go. Uggggh.

maybe necessary. He'll be taking Algebra I via The Potter's School, so I'm wondering whether I should have him take the ASK and do some prep for that, or just use the CAT as Ellie suggests.

I was hoping not to have to devote time to test prep, but it looks like that might be the best way to go. Uggggh.

You might need to have him do both the CAT and the ASK, unless the ASK does all subjects, not just math (NJKelli said schools use that for math placement, which is why I'm not sure which it is).

Oh, and when you do your transcript, just give him a grade for Algebra 1; there's no need to specify that your ds did the course through the Potter's School. That will just muddy the waters. :-o

Thanks for the input, Ellie. I can see that giving to much detail can just complicate the situation.

The ASK has three parts: Math, Science, and combined Reading/Writing.

I took a look at the material covered in all three ASK parts, and they honestly look pretty easy. We can do some light prep thoughout the year and then see if the ps will allow testing there. If not, private will have to do it.

My friend's public school would not allow her homeschooled kids to take the ASK even though they planned to enroll the following Sept. I don't think that most private schools in NJ give the ASK test so that may not be an option.

Everything in NJ is controlled at the individual school district level and practices/requirements vary widely. You really need to speak directly to the high school your son will be attending so that there are no last minute surprises.

Nancy

My friend's public school would not allow her homeschooled kids to take the ASK even though they planned to enroll the following Sept. I don't think that most private schools in NJ give the ASK test so that may not be an option.

Everything in NJ is controlled at the individual school district level and practices/requirements vary widely. You really need to speak directly to the high school your son will be attending so that there are no last minute surprises.

Nancy

I think it's a good idea to go straight to the high school sooner rather than later so you know at the get go what you'll need to prepare. Where we live, the high school district is different from the K12 district. I've had the impression that homeschooled parents had positive contacts with the high school and their dc had good experiences going in and did not have to do anything special like take tests. Our K12 distict, though, is not homeschool-friendly. If I were in your shoes, where I live, I wouldn't approach my K12 district if it weren't necessary. Your high school will let you know.

If it helps, I've never heard of families in my district or any other NJ high school district giving their dc a hard time about placement. It seemed completely up to the parents to decide where they wanted to put them.

I think we'll prepare for the ASK math and LA just so we have a measurement for placement. The high school ds will attend is really large with a lot of class options. If the school won't allow testing at their location, we'll test privately.

Thanks for the input, ladies. I will contact the school well in advance of the fall.

I live in the evil school district that is homeschool unfriendly. I have no doubt they would make me jump through hoops to re-enroll my daughter in public school.

I had read something on their board of ed website how homeschoolers must be tested to see what grade they should be placed in.