Menu

Oregon Shakespeare Festival....(my thoughts from last week)

We saw Henry IV (Part 1), Hamlet, Merchant Of Venice and Twelfth Night last week at the OSF in Ashland, Oregon.

What an amazing experience!

I highly recommend this to round out your Shakespeare studies. My older kids were in awe. We splurged for excellent seats. Ds had the best seat in the new Elizabethan Theater for Henry. Well worth it.

Beg, borrow or steal to get to Ashland. It's that wonderful.

We were in Ashland for 4 days, with shows & lectures on Friday, Sat & Sunday -- with a 15-hour day on Saturday with shows, lectures and backstage tours.

The pre-show 'Preface' presentations are an ideal way for newcomers to Shakespeare to get an idea of what they will see. We were amazed at how many folks hadn't read or seen the play they were about to experience. We came prepared and ready so the experience was amazing.

We'll go yearly. I'm already dreaming about next year. I'll buy $20 seats for our little girls next year. They can't wait.

I just added some pics to my blog of the sets of the 3 of the shows. My Hamlet photos are blurry.

We're a bit Shakespeare crazed here. This was better than Broadway, imho. :)

We went to Ashland several years ago and saw my daughter's favorite production of Twelfth Night. I adore that area and hope to go back again.

Meanwhile we go to the Old Globe Festival in San Diego (our hometown) yearly. We started when my daughter was nine and won tickets to As You Like It in a raffle. Like Ashland, the Old Globe has an outdoor stage, the tours and talks too. This year we went to a lecture by the artistic director which was wonderful: all about the rhythms of Shakespeare and how he teaches actors to become familiar with the language and use it as if it is their everyday language and not something formal and different.

We saw King Lear and Taming of the Shrew this year, plus the most incredible, touching, funny and tragic Madness of King George. I'd seen the video but this was, if anything, even better.

That sounds wonderful. My dd and I like to see Shakespeare performed live. We go every year to outdoor Shakespeare in Orange County. And we have traveled to Washington, DC twice in the last 2 years, and saw 2 different productions there. We saw Macbeth at the Folger theater, and it was absolutely MESMERIZING.

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to go to Ashland, and have tried to convince dd that we should do it as a graduation trip next summer. But my hubby has promised her Maui. Hmm. I would honestly rather go to Ashland than Maui!

Wow, that looks like an incredible place! In our area of the world the Blackfriar Playhouse in Staunton, VA, is another option that is fantastic: http://www.americanshakespearecenter.com/ Shakespeare comes alive when it is seen and heard. :-) We always try to find a performance of the plays we read each year.

I wish I could get out to Washington. Field trip! :001_smile:

~Brigid