Menu

how long does it take to recover from an allergic reaction?

Last night dh and I had some new wine. I had about half a glass over a period of about 15-30 minutes while working on the computer. I began getting seriously itchy. Dh came out from putting the dc to bed and I told him how itchy I was. We went and looked and I had horrible scratch marks all over me - I didn't realize how hard I was scratching! I took a quick shower and when I got out we could clearly see what I guess were hives all over. I also felt a bit nauseous. We could only conclude that I was reacting to the wine because I had eaten dinner several hours before.

Dh went out and bought some Benadryl. I took one and went to sleep. This morning I took one more and have been feeling horribly out of it the rest of the day. I had to make a phone call and could barely leave a coherent message! Is this the Benadryl, which I would think would have worn off by now, or a result of the allergic reaction? I'm tired and just feel out of it, and still a bit itchy. I haven't taken any Benadryl since the one at 6:30 this morning and it's now 4 PM.

What a waste of a day! I've never had any kind of allergic reaction before so I don't know what to expect. Is it normal to feel so out of it the next day?

It depends.

For me, that is normal. I feel sluggish, groggy, and just like poo for the next day or two. I continue taking Benadryl every 6-8 hours, even if the itchyness, sore/raspy throat, etc disappear.

Drink a lot of fluids to "flush" the toxin out and hopefully you will be feeling much better by tomorrow morning.

Also, if you have any Benadryl ointment, that works great on hives. Even ice on the itchiest parts. Maybe a cold shower?

I really hope you feel better soon. :grouphug: