Menu

What are Your Summer Afterschooling Plans?

Since Blaze will be home from the first week in June through the Friday before Labor Day I hope to accomplish much, hopefully--lol.

Lively Latin: We're on Lesson 12 & will finish mid-June, and will move on to Lively Latin II. This program was one of the easiest to emplement in an afterschool setting. I may add in Ecce Romani I or Cambridge Latin I for my reading practice. 30 minutes 4x a week

Mathematics: We're almost done with Oak Meadow Math 5, and will add back in Singapore 4B while using Oak Meadow math 6 for review. 30-45 minutes 4x a week

English: Continue in CW: Aesop A, move into CW: Aesop B; The Mother Tongue for grammar and some poetry memory work. Simply Spelling for copywork and to sneak in more spelling practice. 30-45 minutes 4x week alternating The Mother Tongue/Simply Spelling & CW:Aesop every other week

Spelling: Sequential Spelling 3 2x a day-- we used this program when Blaze hs'd during 3rd grade and will continue it's use every summer. 15 minutes daily

Classical Studies: Same as Latin--30 minutes 4x a week

History: We've listened to the SOTW CDs a million times this year--grin. So, we'll spend time working through the activity guide-- with Blaze picking and choosing projects & readings. We also have a number of units from http://www.enrichment4you.com/index.php . 60 minutes 2x week

Science: "boy stuff" as Blaze says & add in our garden along with some nature study. Whenever

We'll start @ 8 & be done by 12:30.

which wasn't what I intended at all. I had thought we would do our six weeks (all we get for summer vacation) and cram in a year's worth of school, since they learn nothing at school. Six weeks ought to be enough. Then we were in London, where there's a Lindamood Bell, and I thought, hey, let's have ds tested (he's always being tested -- long story) and see if one of their programs can help. Turns out they're wonderful and insightful people there and they think their program can help ds (he has an auditory processing disorder, so when he reads, he uses only his visual and language skills and none of his auditory skills -- you get the problem). So now we're trying to move to London for a month, figure out my job, get childcare for the other two -- and, oh yeah, afterschooling. But London is great anyway, so I figure maybe I'll just drop the other two at the British Museum every day and pick them up after work. They'll probably learn all they ever need to know.

This is the summer of decision for us. At the end of July, based on how our attempts at homeschooling go this summer, we will decide if our 8 yo rising 3rd grader will return to ps or if he will stay home with us. My 5 yo rising Kindergartner will be going to ps ... I don't think I could keep him home, he is so excited.

8yo

SOTW 2/3 - 3x a week

FLL3 or R&S ( I have both on order we will see which is a better fit going forward) - 4 to 5x a week. We currently do this every morning before school, so we will continue to start our morning with this.

Writing - CW or WWE (again we will see which is a better fit) - 3x a week

Math - we haven't focused here because his ps math program has been decent, but we will review 3x a week with Singapore 2

Science - I will probably buy RS4K - the program looks wonderful - 3x a week

Art - we take tons of trips to the wonderful art museums here in Houston - we may even throw in a art class at the art school associated with the Fine Arts museum

Prima Latina - 1x week (maybe more depending on how things go)

5 yo

we will finish PP and play with Singapore Earlybird math

• 2 weeks later...

for upcoming 9th grader transitioning from private school to public school:

1. Keyboarding (never did that when we homeschooled or in private school)

2. Working through the first few primaries of Omnibus III (he already finished Omnibus I and II at private school) over the summer (orally) to prepare for Government Class in the fall.

DS #2 ~

Finish Level I All About Spelling

Work on math (using various motessori methods and workbook)

I plan to have my sons sign up for the library reading program and I will teach Hands On Equations with my sons.

I have already a busy schedule with other activities:

1. Teaching at the camp one day a week

2. Going swimming twice a week

3. Violin lessons ever other week

4. Possibly do Lego Club at the library??:auto:

I am busy over the summer so lesson have to be light.

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

Ds will have surgery in June and will be laid up for a while. I have a captive audience!!!

Math - Alg. II (hopefully about 5 chapters)

History/English - begin AP World prep, writing DBQ's and FRQ's, reading selections from TWTM that he hasn't had time for yet.

Begin ACT prep using a variety of things.

That should keep him busy and not bored. I'll add more if he is up to it.

P.S. He will be in 10th next year.

We're hopefully going to speed up our pace just a bit. I've been using Sonlight Core K this year and will keep going. We'll hopefully write a bit each day to keep up our handwriting and work on more independent reading. It's amazing how much learning can be done while playing games and simply having fun.

LibrarianMom

I just posted on the "Summer plans for 7 year old thread" but thought I'd share here as well.

This summer I'll be using unit studies to keep my dc (ages 14 ,10, 6, 4, 2) engaged in learning. I usually only have one subject going - its just easier and they even work together sometimes. :thumbup:

We just ordered caterpillar eggs for a unit study on butterflies. All the kids will be learning about butterflies on their own level. One of my dd will learn about using the library and finding research materials while looking up information on butterflies. My littles will be learning about letters and letter sounds incorporated into the butterfly theme (B for butterfly, C for caterpillar). One child needs to get excited about science so she will be learning about observation as a scientific principle by taking notes on our caterpillars's progresions and giving us a presentation on metamorphosis (I'm having her use our digital camera to take pictures and then use the pictures in her presentation).

I love hearing about what everyone else is doing.

13 y.o- She will read 1 hour per day, do one lesson per day from Summer Bridge 7/8 workbook, and write 1 one page paper per week on topic of choice. She has several camps and tons of youth group activities this summer.

10 y.o- Daily operation drills; read 1 hour per day; begin R&S 5 grammar; write daily on topic of choice.

6 y.o- 20 minutes in Ray's Primary; OPGTR-phonics study, spelling dictation, and copywork from the lesson; read 1 controlled reader to Mom; FIAR style study each week.

Rising 3rd and 4th grader

Literature: BYFIAR -Boxcar Children and Thomas Edision book studies

Reading: Independent Reading Daily w/Narration

Language Arts: LLATL -We are going to begin the Orange Book

Penmanship-Cursive work as DD did not learn it this year in 3rd grade and she seems to be only one in her class to not have learned it at home.

Composition: BYFIAR stuff and occasional Igniting Your Writing.

Math: Singpore 3A and 3B

Science: Oceanography Unit Study plus BYFIAR stuff

History: Unit Studies on Rome and Ancient China

Well, we were going to transition from Catholic to public school, but after looking super duper closely, NO WAY. So, they will stay in parochial school :-).

This summer, DS 9 will be reading at least 2 hours a day in 2 to 3 sessions. Actually, this might be a scale back from how much he was reading during school when he was done with his work:glare:. And, we will concentrate on things he doesn't get in school: Latin (Latina Christiana) and Spanish (Rosetta Stone). And, he will begin keyboarding. His reading will be chosen from Ancient History, mostly.

DD 6 (with Trisomy 21) will continue with her regular school curriculum, particularly in reading and math. She's done so well this year in Kindy that I want to stay focused with her :-).

DS 5 will continue reading level 1 and level 2 readers to increase reading fluency, and begin Prima Latina :-). We will begin reading some of the WTM Greek and Roman suggestions aloud with him.

As a family, we will be back to DC for the 4th of July and study American History the weeks leading up to, and natural interests following our trip -- last year, DS 9 really wanted to study art following our trip there, and we let his heart lead the way!