Menu

US Govt - one semester or one year?

DS16 plans to self study for AP Us Gov. Is that considered a one semester course or should we make it last all year (he's interested in the subject)? Or should we add comparative Gov and take that AP as well?

And if you have any great syllabi/books/ideas to create the course, do let me know! ;)

Lisa

APUSGov can be either a full-year or semester course. To a similar question on the APUSGov listserve, most teachers responded that they have only a semester to teach the class (and many lamented this), with a minority teaching it in two semesters. I taught APUSGov a year ago and chose to used a full year, but this was for a co-op that met only once a week, started after Labor Day and finished just after Easter. So, it's a short year.

I think the volume of material warrants a full year. I added in some outside readings such as the Federalist/Anti-Federalist Papers, we followed a pending USSC case and the students write a short research paper. We also spent one whole class doing a post-election analysis. An election year is an excellent time for US government study!

We finished up our class by the first week of April, which gave the students taking the AP exam about a month for studying.

Lisa

Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions. I checked out Thinkwell, Oak Meadow and courserepository. I think I will definitely use one of them to keep us on a schedule. I also found it on http://www.ucopenaccess.org/course/view.php?id=71

I guess we'll spread it out over the year and go deep. I have a feeling ds will enjoy that.

Thank you. :001_smile: