Menu

Jensen's format writing

Guest Barb B

Guest Barb B

Thanks, I read it was for "10-18" which is a bit of a broad age range!

He can write an essay, just don't know if this will prepare him for the next level at college. I guess my 7th grader could use it if he doesn't.

Barb

Guest Barb B

Now I can't find where I saw that age range! I think I may just order it. I was looking at college freshman level comp. texts for my 12th grade ds but they were huge!

Barb

NO---12th is just fine! My dd is using is using it about once a week at 11th---definitely upper high school level writing instruction and skills. It goes through every type of expository writing genre in paragraphs, then 5 paragraph essays, book reports/critique, precis/summarizing, business writing and then the full blown research paper.

Guest Barb B

Thanks! I was looking at it online, my ds looks and says "what's that, I don't want some text book colleges have never heard of,from some unknown company (I'm paraphrasing here)":willy_nilly: Not sure what he means by this! He will have literature books listed they have heard of. It's not like there are famous writing texts like there may be in the AP history or in math or science! I said - I was keeping a textbook list, but wasn't sure college require it or will ask about it.

So, I guess I should ask - is this a well known book (not that I care - but surprisingly my son does!).

Barb

We used it and loved it.

I will use it again and again with the rest of my kids.

Who cares if it's *well known*? It's more about if your kid *gets it* and *does it*. There are kids using well known, recognizable texts...who STILL can't write. LOL!

(Sorry...I think I sound sarcastic...and I don't mean to be :) )

We have used ALL of Jensen's books. My dd made perfect scores on the English portions of her ACT/SAT tests. She also was one point below perfect on her SAT essay. We didn't write much before we did Jensen's.

Guest Barb B

Thanks, When I look at the info for Jensen's online I like it. I think we will go with it!

MSPolly - go ahead and be sarcarstic - I felt like being that way to ds when he asked if it was well known. Not sure where his question came from!

Barb