Menu

Handwriting for 6th graders??

Hi everyone,

I am in need of a program for my 6th grader next year. He has always used HWT and that has gone pretty well. However, he has aged out of their books. I still want him to continue to practice his handwriting b/c he needs it.

At this point, should I use a program or use something like dictation?

Thanks!

Bethany

You could use dictation.

My son uses the Getty-Dubay style of writing. There was a poster on these boards a while back who created handwriting practice books to go along with every level of SOTW (at least I think every level). She did the books in multiple different writing styles, so you can get the style that works best for you. You can order them online, as downloads from Lulu, too. I used her book last year, am using it this year, and have already purchased the one for next year. I really like them!

Here is (I hope) a link to some of the many copybooks she's done at Lulu:

http://www.lulu.com/browse/search.php?fSearchFamily=0&fSearch=julie+shields&fSubmitSearch=Go&fSearchSource=a&showingSubPanels=

You can look around to find the different writing styles she offers, see samples of the work, etc. It was only $3.50 for me to download next year's work and it's about a semester's worth of work if I have him do a page a day, four days per week.

Copywork/dictation is great! We've used all three of Julie Shield's history copybooks in italic (hoping she'll do a modern history too) as well as Italic Science and Pictures in Cursive.

Italic Science

http://www.italicbuilders.com/index.php?option=com_rokquickcart&view=rokquickcart&Itemid=54

Pictures in Cursive

http://www.queenhomeschool.com/productpages/Cursive/cursiveframeset.html

History Copywork

http://stores.lulu.com/julieshields

In 5th grade we dropped handwriting on the condition that DS would maintain the lovely italic handwriting he had developed. By the end of that year I realized he was slipping into bad habits but hated to go back to a handwriting book. I came across something about history copywork from Julie in GA here on the boards (Julie Shields) and downloaded something to finish out the year. It was such a hit with DS (he loves history) and with me (his handwriting improved and he reinforced his history lessons) and it was such a small thing to add to our day that we not only continued it, but added to it with Italic Science and picture study copywork. I suppose we should be doing more dictation at this point (not that I don't dictate enough to him during the course of a school day) but this is totally independent and takes a very short time resulting in visible improvement. Great bang for your buck so-to-speak.

Edited by Suzannah

Depending upon why his handwriting is bad.... you could use something like Loops and Other Groups for cursive. My dd used it and her writing is now beautiful. She also used HWT for years - but the Loops and Other Groups made the difference. We got it free from an OT but you can buy it online.

The other option is purchase the HWT paper and make your own practice for him.

HTH,

JoAnne

Hi everyone,

I am in need of a program for my 6th grader next year. He has always used HWT and that has gone pretty well. However, he has aged out of their books. I still want him to continue to practice his handwriting b/c he needs it.

At this point, should I use a program or use something like dictation?

Thanks!

Bethany

I'd have copywork instead.

I think my oldest kid will need it in 6th grade, too.