Menu

Chalkdust Geometry (new version)

Dd will be starting CD Geometry (new version). We bought it used, so I had a few questions regarding daily schedule -

1)Can someone tell me their typical schedule for CD Geom? I'm assuming dc watches DVD, takes notes, completes problems? Does dc stop DVD to do the problems on the DVD?

2)Do you assign all the problems in the section? If not what do you assign (odds/evens?) Otherwise, how do you know what to assign?

3)If dc does not get all the problems correct, do you assign more? (I'm assuming you do)

3)Do you stick to the 1 hr rule? (on CD website)

Thank you all!

Sangita

Dd will be starting CD Geometry (new version). We bought it used, so I had a few questions regarding daily schedule -

1)Can someone tell me their typical schedule for CD Geom? I'm assuming dc watches DVD, takes notes, completes problems? Does dc stop DVD to do the problems on the DVD?

2)Do you assign all the problems in the section? If not what do you assign (odds/evens?) Otherwise, how do you know what to assign?

3)If dc does not get all the problems correct, do you assign more? (I'm assuming you do)

3)Do you stick to the 1 hr rule? (on CD website)

Thank you all!

Sangita

Yes, one hour per day. Yes, watch the DVD, take notes and the tackle problems. We just always start where we are. If ds has ten minutes left in his hour, then no, we don't typically start watching a new section. However, if he has finished his hour, but only has two or three more problems to go, then I have him run over a bit to come to a logical stopping point.

There are fewer problems in the Geometry section, so we did more than just evens or odds. We did between 25 and 30 problems per section, and I chose lots of proofs.

It is a bit harder in the Geometry book to see which concepts are covered with which problems, but if there is an issue (something beyond a careless error) then we work more problems. We e-mailed Professor Mosely much more frequently in Geometry than we had (or have) with any of his other programs. Make sure you check the errata at the website. There are more errors in the new Geometry program than in some of the other programs. Not a ridiculous amount, but more compared to, say, Algebra II.

I had a lot of anxiety about Geometry as I never liked it and was really worried about proofs. If you bought it used, I believe you can go to his website and for a fee (maybe $75??) obtain technical assistance from him for a year so you CAN e-mail him if you have questions.

It's a great program. We have loved ALL of the Chalkdust materials.

ETA: allow an average of 3 days per section. Some will take more, some will take less. You are shooting for an "average."