Menu

Chemistry and Geometry??

Been debating with hubby on this one. He says chemistry was hard for him in high school. He and Grandma both suggest I wait 'til 11th grade to offer Chemistry to son. I am noting in the local ps and with stuff like Apologia or BJU, they suggest to do Chemistry with Geometry.

Son will be in 10th grade next year. So far, he is doing well in Algebra I with a 95% average. I realize the leap from Biology (this year's science) to Chemistry is big with more memorization and labs. Son has dysgraphia and is Asperger's. He enjoys Science and is bright. But is waiting 'til 11th grade a disadvantage? Help. Anyone who has done Chemistry please advise. Would like to know all POV on all angles.

We are leaning to a coop Chemistry class next year. My only concern is we will be meeting 1x a week for labs. I have a feeling they will offer Apologia. (I am not thrilled with it -- but do not have a choice at this point) My only other option is to outsource an Integrated Chemistry & Physics (ICP) class 2x a week with another coop that uses BJU Press material and supplements. My concern is having son keep up with the pace of a coop class -- but it needs to be done. Life skills, kwim?

Edited by tex-mex

Hi,

DS did Chemistry with Algebra 2, and dd is doing biology with geometry. DD will probably do the same as DS unless I don't do chemistry.... DS tried chemistry a year before he was ready, I put it away and brought it out a year later. It still was very difficult for us to do. My dd does biology with virtual homeschool group, if she does chemistry, she will take it with them. I am not up to it again :) I have heard that BJU Chemistry w/dvds has a very good teacher, and another post says they use BJU Chemistry with DIVE.

I don't think there's any intrinsic reason for pairing Chemistry & Geometry, other than that they both tend to be the 2nd course in the HS math & science sequences. But many students these days do Alg I in 8th, so they'd be doing Bio & Geometry in 9th. And some schools do Physical Science (integrated chem & physics) in 9th, along with Alg I.

If you decide to do science on your own next year instead of with a coop, you could use Suchocki's Conceptual Chemistry or Hewitt & Suchocki's Conceptual Physical Science Explorations (an introduction to Chemistry & Physics, with a bit of Earth Science & Astronomy thrown in) for a gentler introduction to Chemistry. Or you could do a Conceptual Physics course (Hewitt or Kinetic Books) and postpone Chemistry to 11th.

Jackie

Ds did Apologia chem after geometry. I don't remember there being any geometry in the chem book and he had no problem with the algebra.

Dd is doing chemistry (Brown, LeMay) concurrent with geometry. There have been a few angles but that's it. Dd has found, however, that her algebra I course (at school, Dolciani mid 1980's) did not provide enough "solving for X" experience (ie. manipulating the equation) nor did it cover logs (which showed up in a chapter called "Chemical Kinetics." Apologia did not have these issues. I don't know about BJU.

Could it be that the reason they say to do chem with geometry is because you need to have finished algebra 1 to do the math in chemistry? That's the only thing I can think of. Chemistry is very math heavy (more than memorization, at least for my ds in Apologia Chemistry).

Could it be that the reason they say to do chem with geometry is because you need to have finished algebra 1 to do the math in chemistry? That's the only thing I can think of. Chemistry is very math heavy (more than memorization, at least for my ds in Apologia Chemistry).

That's what I am wondering... :D

I don't think there's any intrinsic reason for pairing Chemistry & Geometry, other than that they both tend to be the 2nd course in the HS math & science sequences. But many students these days do Alg I in 8th, so they'd be doing Bio & Geometry in 9th. And some schools do Physical Science (integrated chem & physics) in 9th, along with Alg I.

You are right. My son is doing Algebra I and Biology in 9th right now. The local ps has ICP (integrated chem & physics) for 10th grade and chemistry for 11th.

If you decide to do science on your own next year instead of with a coop, you could use Suchocki's Conceptual Chemistry or Hewitt & Suchocki's Conceptual Physical Science Explorations (an introduction to Chemistry & Physics, with a bit of Earth Science & Astronomy thrown in) for a gentler introduction to Chemistry. Or you could do a Conceptual Physics course (Hewitt or Kinetic Books) and postpone Chemistry to 11th.

Jackie

THANKS! I will look into the books should the coop be a wash. :001_smile: