Menu

BJU History

I need to ask a question about this but I am hoping it won't offend/upset anyone.

I have heard that BJU history is...unkind? in its treatment of other US based religions. More specificly, members of the Mormon religion and others. Is this the case?

I only ask because my oldest said he wants a textbook for history. I want one that is fair to ALL religions.

Would someone please shed some light on this?

SO what secular, cost-effective (not a ps text) options do I have? I have looked at the K12 and seriously considered that but cost is a factor. Would Galore Park be a good idea? I own the Hakim US books so am covered there. Wish some good maps went with it, though.

What grade are you considering? I've read all of my kids' textbooks and haven't seen unkindness. History is presented in a fair manner, though it is from their world view. By this, I mean there's a yardstick already there and I would expect that measuring becomes more specific as the you get to higher grades. The younger grades that we've used (currently up to sixth grade) have been very fair and really haven't dwelled on religious aspects of history except where the topic deems it.

We'll be using the sixth grade this fall so I'm reading through it now. It's a great course from what I can see, and I've been pleased with this other grades we've used as well. Good luck on making a choice!

• 1 year later...

The 7th-12th grade books have passing references to Catholicism as a non-Christian/false religion. We didn't use these very long, so I don't know how Mormonism is addressed, if at all, though I would guess that it would be referred to as a false religion.

The 8th grade book also assumes that the student and his/her parents agree that rock/secular music is inherently evil, and emphasizes the Beatles' use of drugs as an example of this.

Don't know if you're thinking to use the dvds/online with it, but my dd watched a good chunk (probably 1/4) of the gr 7 dvd history lessons when we had some friends visiting, and she LOVED it. So if you're thinking the gr 7 history text, you might spring for the dvd lessons to go with it. You can see samples online to see what you think.