Menu

Sticker Shock!

I've been in denial. My oldest at home will be in high school this fall. I finally pulled my head out of the sand and started planning. I enjoyed biology in high school and college and was looking forward to possibly covering it this year... $150 for books, $200 for lab kit, $175 for a microscope. :001_huh: OUCH! Man, it looks fun, but it is spendy. Not only am I not prepared planning wise, I'm not prepared financially either.

Anyone else have a "sticker shock" story to share?

I remember when I started homeschooling an experienced hs'er shared that she found high school to be the most rewarding and by far the most expensive years to homeschool. I am finding that to be the case. I just spent $110 for used Physics books, $100 Physics lab equipment, $600 for an online Calc course and $65 for the course book, and we still have the computer programming books to purchase.... the list goes on and on.

She was correct on both fronts, more expensive and quite rewarding.

Carole

:iagree:Wow! It is so much more expensive than elementary school! I don't want to list everything my big boys are doing and show it to dh all at once... he might have a stroke.

Mandy

And if you don't want to teach every subject at the high school level or you find out that your child would greatly benefit from having outside teaching/tutoring, then you add in another $500 per course per year.

Homeschooling high school IS expensive.

One cheerful thought -- thanks to a strong high school education, my kids in college are costing us LESS than they did in high school! And we have lots of company -- we are far from the only homeschoolers out there blessed to be in this situation! :D

One cheerful thought -- thanks to a strong high school education, my kids in college are costing us LESS than they did in high school! And we have lots of company -- we are far from the only homeschoolers out there blessed to be in this situation! :D

Ah, Gwen, this is a very good way to look at it! Thank you. :)

Carole, I agree that this gets more rewarding. Sometimes I mourn the loss of innocence as my children grow older, but at the same time it is so enjoyable to interact with them as their minds mature.

Hi Polly,

I can't remember where you're located, but have you thought of taking college courses for Science. We live by Corban and I hear that Homeschoolers can take college there...for really inexpensive..(there are some strings) and I know that some of the State Universities offer courses, too.... Just a thought...

Carrie:-)

The good news is that it can be passed to all of the others.

Yep, I'm going to be hanging on to these homeschool books for a loooong time. I ran out of shelf space a long time ago. Hmmm...maybe we should add on to the house. Wouldn't a library be nice? ;)

Hi Polly,

I can't remember where you're located, but have you thought of taking college courses for Science. We live by Corban and I hear that Homeschoolers can take college there...for really inexpensive..(there are some strings) and I know that some of the State Universities offer courses, too.... Just a thought...

Carrie:-)

Hi Carrie!

Thank you for letting me know. I'll look into it for the future. I don't think she's quite ready to handle a classroom situation yet. She's my hermit. ;)

Yes, I used to choke when I calculated how much I spent on textbooks in high school. Then my dd entered college as a nursing major where most of her books are over $100-$200 each. My suggestion is just to take very good care of your books and try to sell them when you are done. Good curriculum programs are well worth the price--an investment that will pay off especially if your children are headed to college. So try skimping in another area of your budget instead.