Menu

Iowa results back--lowest score--math computation with whole numbers?

I am bewildered over my son's math computation scores. He scored in the 98th percentile overall on the 4th grade test, but in the 56th percentile for math computation. Now, he is a pretty math-y kid, but he does make math computation errors because he tries to do them in his head when he should write them down. I am thinking I just need to drill him a little each day over the summer...Any opinions? We are using Singapore Math and he is finishing up 4A right now. He scored 100 percent correct for 9 out of 17 areas tested, and in the high 80's on the rest (besides the math computation) so I really think he was just trying to work too fast or doing them in his head.

Thanks!

Jennifer

Edited by purplemama

Okay, so I just looked back at the two previous years' tests and he scored low on those as well-- in the 64th percentile in 2nd grade and in the 62nd percentile in 3rd grade...so he is consistently not doing well with this. I guess I should have picked up on it before and been doing more drill already:( So much for thinking I have it all together as a homeschooler. Hopefully we will see significant improvement after doing more drill this summer. He knows his math facts...if I give him time to think a little he always tells me the right answer. It's just not a quick response.

Thanks for your input Angela!

Jennifer

It's not that your son doesn't know it, it's that the test is short. My dd consistently scores low on the computation, no matter what I do with her! She scores in the high 90's in the other things, so this is frustrating for her! Not sure what else to do that we haven't done to get it up.

But for us it was the sixth grade test--he scored in the 90 plus percentilefor everything except math computation which was--gulp--30th percentile. I must admit, though, that I've never been super vigilant about math drill. That low score was enough incentive for my son to get his facts down.

Our school system spends, IMO, an inordinate time on fact mastery at the expense of other more complex mathematical thinking skills. The percentages, I think, reflect our different emphases.

That said, if I had to do it again, I think I'd skip all the computer games, worksheets, etc., and, around age 8, just do math flashcards until those darn facts were mastered.

Just off the top of my head... it could be that he did not double check his work, did not solve the problems on scrap piece of paper, may have made a careless mistake (i.e. carrying over a number), etc. All very common with the computation section for standardized tests.

However, if you continue to see the score repeated for next year's test... then it may be a problem with mastery? It is considered a learning disability if it repeats itself on more than one standardized test and is at least 2 standard deviations below his ability/grade level. For example, if the score is below the 25th percentile... it is considered a possible LD.

56th percentile means "average" ability. (He technically is at grade level with computation) But you did say he does well in daily work, right? Or do you have to coach him to double check his daily work? As a former 4th grade teacher, the math computation section for the standardized test is usually a review and goes over many different types of problems -- but he will need to show his work on the scrap piece of paper for accuracy. If he does the "computation" in his head chances are he will make a mistake. Again, very common. But drilling on math facts is not the sole answer... I would really determine if your child has an issue with showing his full computations on paper. And why? There could be many reasons for this and it does not mean he is LD.

Most likely it is a careless mistake. Go over the results with your child and use it as a tool to go by the old adage... "Show your work & double check your work".

Edited by tex-mex