Menu

progeny press

jabuford

at your children's pace and follow their lead. Progeny Press guides are outlined in segments. For instance,the guide directs you to read three chapters then go into the guide and complete the vocabulary, comprehension, and digging deeper questions. Don't let your kids get bored with this or frustrated with the amount of time it takes. Sometimes answering the questions involves going back into the book to re-read. This can be tedious,so make your plan to cut it short. We are currently reading Carry on, Mr. Bowditch. Some of the chapters are rather long so DS and I take turns reading; sometimes we even read only one or two of the chapters, and finish the reading part the next day. The idea is to enjoy literature! You don't want to turn them against it! Remember not to be a slave to it, either. Take a few days off if necessary or simply draw an illustration of your favorite part one day. The guides are easy to use; just take them one step at a time. You'll have a lot of fun! Don't skip the preliminary activities either! They add a lot to the story!

I love the idea of PP guides, but my daughter did not. She LOVES to read, but when I put a PP guide in front of her, she shuts down. I majored in Lit and love to pull deeper meaning and ponder on the story, so I decided to do it orally along with her. ~This made all the difference. The daunting task of writing out all the answers was over and we could enjoy the book..together.

My suggestion, have her do portions on her own and do some together.

As the previous poster said, no lesson plans required, just go with the flow..

I've used a number of PP guides over the years -- I try to roughly sketch out a schedule (how many days for section, etc.) and then go with the flow. I found that, especially with my more reluctant readers and writers, it definitely helped to do some questions orally. Often, I would assign certain questions to be done in writing and others to be considered and thought about in preparation for discussion. Sometimes I skipped questions completely. The big key is be flexible!!!

Yvonne