Menu

Grammar and Writing

Karen sn

My ds is using level 7; we do not use the writing part, because it is above his writing skill level at this point.

We really, really like this. It is very rigorous, IMO, and thorough. I would have no problem using Hake 7 and 8 as high school level grammars. My ds is learning things I know I didn't learn until high school, probably 11th or 12th grade.

At first, I was having him read the lesson and do the practice exercises on one day, then do either all the odds or all the evens on the review set the next day. That worked a while, but about 1/4 way into the book, he was forgetting things. I shouldn't have tried to get around the methodology in the book. ;)

Now, I go over the lesson with him and we work the practice exercises together on one day. Next day, he does first 1/2 of review exercises, followed by second 1/2 on the third day. This is working great for us. He does use the tests after every 5 lessons.

Obviously, he will not finish the text in one year, so we'll use Hake 7 for 7th/8th grades, then use Hake 8 for 9th/10th grades.

Lana

I would have no problem using Hake 7 and 8 as high school level grammars.

Lana

Yes. That's what I was thinking.

I was thinking of 6th grade (12yo) - start with Hake 5, and by the end of Hake 8 we are done with our study of grammar and she can go to junior college at 16 and take English for credit.

Why not start a grade level? Each level begins with easy grammar lessons and progresses onto more difficult concepts. Like Saxon Math, Hake Grammar and Writing reviews previous lessons in each review set, as well as providing a test every five lessons. Before rejecting the writing exercises, be sure that the the type of writing introduced is covered by another source. For example, descriptive writing. The writing section is very basic, yet it covers what should be taught at grade level. I do use the writing section, but I add to it because I find it a bit dry. My DD uses the text at grade level without a problem. She can zip through a review set in 30 min. We do go over the lesson and practice set together. I want to be certain she understands what is expected of her. Because of the built in review in each review set, her retention of information is good.

I just ordered (thanks to people on here who let me know they had it for sale) levels 5 and 6 of Hake. I am going to look through them, but my plan was to do level 5 this year because she has struggled with grammar especially, and some with writing, and I want to start her at a level where she can definitely succeed. Build her confidence, you know? We can go through it as quickly, OR as slowly as she needs to to make sure she has the base and gains more confidence in her abilities. I do think that once she gets the hang of it, she WILL move faster. But for now, it's more important to me that she gain her confidence in it first.

Then whenever she finishes level 5 we'll move right into level 6. We'll see how that goes. We also will be doing Write Shop so I'm not sure how much of the writing in Hake's that she'll do??? When I get them I'll be going through to see how we'll run the program.