Menu

IEW with SOTW or other subjects

corbie

I was just lent a copy of IEW. I'm really interested in using it, not only for LA but also for other subjects. I've been using SOTW for 4 years. I really want to try IEW with history or science, but I haven't found great resources for short, simple paragraphs. My dd's are 8 and 10. We outlined a couple of Aesop's Fables today. It went well, but I'm looking for ways to include this program with science and history. I did find a few good paragraphs from Kingfisher World History Atlas but not enough. Any ideas? All feedback appreciated. I would also like to hear how this program ( IEW) has worked for other people. Thanks!

Michelle - I noticed you were using IEW spelling. How do you like it? I did look at their history writing books. I think they would work with my 4th/5th grader, but would be too tough for my 2nd/3rd grader. I guess I could do the outlines with my younger one.

Any ideas for science? I know they suggest DK books. I just don't have any science ones.

Also, have you ever downloaded any e-books from their site?

Sherry - I looked at Writing Strands and thought it was ok, but I think the note taking and public speaking skills learned with IEW are great. I also think my very math minded dd will appreciate how IEW breaks writing down into almost a formula/game to begin. She often hits a block when asked to write. So far, I'm impressed with IEW. Of course, it is WAY more expensive. I am borrowing the dvd's and will probably buy some books, which aren't too bad. I also love that I can teach writing to both levels at once and that I can incorporate other subjects. We've just started, so my review is a bit premature, but so far so good. HTH

IEW PZ is fine it; gets the job done easily and independently which is what we needed. Both my dc used it.

IEW HBWL would be too difficult for a 2/3rd grader but look at IEW All Thing Fun.

Outlining for science - you could use any source that's in short sections. Most textbooks are pre-outlined for you with title and sub-tites for each chapter. R&S science is nice. Online sources are good too.