Menu

Swine flu - MDs reluctant to swab/culture?

I know of a case in town where a teenaged boy was diagnosed with swine flu. The diagnosis came about because the mother insisted that they test him. I heard from a mutual friend that she had to really argue with the MD. Why would a doctor not want to swab and culture (or whatever they do with swabs)? Is doing this a big hassle for medical offices? It made me wonder how much of the virus was missed. BTW this mother went in to the doctor's with her son at the outset of this before it really got going here in Texas. This happened before they were inundated with potential testing.

I'm not sure why it matters, really, unless the kid is horribly sick. A simple flu test at the docs would have let them know he had some strain of type A, and that's more than enough information. Why go to the additional expense of testing for a particular strain, especially when the strain is mild anyway?

Ria

I've heard one theory say that the Mexico death rate might SEEM to be so much higher because so many mild cases weren't reported.

I think if they had statistics for just how many of these cases are so mild that they get sent home, it would be more reassuring for everyone.

And those statistics might be out there, but it's not something that I've seen.

One of the problems is it is expensive and a big hassle and expensive. The sample has to be recieved within 48 hours, so the weekend does not count. They can only use certain type containers, that not all offices have. Some have been told to meet patient at the back door wearing biohazzard suits. The CDC is not clear in giving doctors proper instructions. There are a million reasons.

http://www.ajc.com/services/content/printedition/2009/05/03/swineflu.html

Here are a few things:

• Knowing it is Influenza A is helpful- that can be done using a rapid kit in the office. Distinguishing between swine and human flu won't change treatment at all, so it isn't necessary and won't help the patient.
  • Testing to see whether it's swine or human flu requires that the sample be sent to one of a handful of labs, all of which are completely overwhelmed with testing right now. Resources are limited and testing is expensive.
  • There are other, better ways to track the illness than attempting to test every single patient. Once it becomes widespread, that is impractical, impossible, and unnecessary. Epi studies and surveillance programs are underway to track the spread of the disease. You don't need to count every case to understand how the flu is spreading and acting. That's what all the epi studies are for.