Menu

Pondering history next year--help me ponder!

dangermom

My older daughter will be in 4th grade next year and using SOTW 4. I also have a 6yo girl who will be in 1st grade. For some time I've been wondering how to handle modern history with a 6yo on board. I've already decided not to read SOTW 4 aloud to her (no-brainer), and was going to do a sort of happy modern-history-light. But there are no coloring pages (her favorite part), so I'd have to buy a zillion Dover coloring books, and as I'm reading the book it's both dense and mostly sad, so it will be hard to have them work together at all.

So I'm thinking about not doing history with her next year at all. Perhaps instead we could do world geography, as a prep to starting SOTW in 2nd grade. I did this in K with my older girl and we had a lot of fun studying different countries, reading folk tales, making food, maps, etc. but I didn't do it with my younger girl this year since we were doing SOTW 3 together (sort of, 6yo wandered in and out).

I'm wondering if this will be too much work for me to handle, since I'm stepping up 8yo's workload now that she's getting older. OTOH, she'll be doing more history on her own. And then my 6yo is cheated out of a year of history when she's 17, but is that even worth worrying about? I don't even know if we'll homeschool through high school! Maybe I'll just have her read something to catch up after she graduates...:tongue_smilie: (When I graduated from high school, I knew almost no modern history at all, so I figure she'll be ahead of me regardless!)

Any thoughts?

I think what you have in mind would be fine. Noone says a 1st grader MUST have history, or even geography if it's too heavy of a load for you to handle! The first grader can work on learning local things in general. Like the names of the streets near where you live. The names of the stores closest to you. How long it takes to get from your house to DQ, and how far it is (mileage) (you'll probably want to check this one quite a few times to make sure you got it accurately)! :) Make it something she'll learn from, but it's easy for you. A more "natural" approach for her surroundings that you only do when you're in the car going somewhere. You could even check library books out or look up the history of your city/town and she could make a little lapbook "from then to now" type idea. Maybe that's not what you want for her, but to me that'd be a great way to ease the pressure on you, yet she'll learn something fun and worthwhile! Just some ideas......

Edited by Brindee

That's a nice idea. But we're studying the history of our area NOW! :D So we're all learning quite a bit and doing some of that. I do like your idea. OTOH I love world geography and she enjoys looking at our children's atlas...she especially likes figuring out where all her relatives are from (I have a lot of international SILs).