Menu

Crtitical Thinking Press, College Scholarship Essay Competition

Just a heads-up for those of us with children who like to write-- the Critical Thinking company is now offering an annual essay contest. Fun! My dd just learned she won first prize this year-- $500 plus a $200 coupon, so that's not bad! I believe the competition opens in January, with essays due in March. Something to put on next year's calendar!

http://www.criticalthinking.com/company/50th_anniversary_essay_winners.jsp

Thank you, Jane! We are all well here-- keeping busy with school activities and learning quite a bit. My ds is taking the AP biology test soon, so we are all routing for him. I'm enjoying teaching my ninth grade English class much more now that we have settled down into some better behaviors in class. We're doing Richard III, so that is fun-- monologue contests, reader's theatre, lots of discussion about ambition, conscience, power...

Anne/Ankara (how can I change my name-- I don't see an edit feature for that)

Thank you, Jane! We are all well here-- keeping busy with school activities and learning quite a bit. My ds is taking the AP biology test soon, so we are all routing for him. I'm enjoying teaching my ninth grade English class much more now that we have settled down into some better behaviors in class. We're doing Richard III, so that is fun-- monologue contests, reader's theatre, lots of discussion about ambition, conscience, power...

Anne/Ankara (how can I change my name-- I don't see an edit feature for that)

To do the name change, I think that you may have to go through the administrator.

Good luck to your ds on the AP Bio test. My son was prepping for this one year ago. So much information! One of the challenging aspects of this exam is preparing for the essay questions.

My son has had the opportunity to do some field work in archaeology closer to home. But American Civil War sites are just not as interesting to him as those near you. Nonetheless the experience is good and will perhaps be valuable on applications for opportunities farther afield.

Richard III is one of my favorite plays. It must be fun to do this with a group of 9th graders.

All the best,

Jane

I remember your son's interest in archeology, Jane. Our university here has a number of fine faculty members and we've gotten to know them quite well. Last month we went with some of them on an archeological tour of eastern Anatolia, visiting ancient Roman sites on the Tigris river near the border with Syria. It was fantastic! My ds found several new pottery shards to add to his collection, including Roman pottery handles from third century AD. Amazing! And there are lots of opportunities for young people to join in the digs that are going on here. Food for thought!

All my best!

Anne