Menu

Just finished reading Protecting the Gift!

I just wanted to say thanks for everyone who recommended Protecting the Gift by Gavin DeBecker. I learned so much! If you haven't read it yet, go get it now and read it!! You won't be sorry!

ETA: Just wanted to say that I am not a "how-to-parent" book reading kind of girl. This is not that kind of book! It is an eye-opening, real book!

[nodding in agreement] This one's a classic. Everyone who reads it has basically your reaction --- a strong desire to get a copy for everyone they know and stick them in a chair till they've read it all. :D

It clarifies a lot of things. And now I cannot abide it when the local news interviews the neighbors of a dreadful person who say "But he seemed like such a nice, quiet fellow." :tongue_smilie:

Nakia -

I've had this book on my shelf for several *years* and haven't read it! I don't know why, but it freaks me out! You would recommend me reading it?

Hey Kathy. Let me be really really honest for a minute. I hope no one will think ill of me or bash me for this. I am the type of mother who is convinced that there is a pedophile on every corner. I am overprotective and I worry A LOT about my kids. It is almost disabling at times. It's hard to admit, but I drive myself nuts worrying about it. I make my friends and family members worry about me sometimes. I know for me it's about losing control of the situation and having something happen to them that I could've stopped and didn't. I also know this is not the way God intended for me to be. Thankfully, I am really good at hiding it from my kids. I don't want them to be crippled by fear like I have been at times. So over the past several months, I have been praying hard and working through the fear. Steve Lambert over on the Five in a Row boards wrote something on a thread that hit home for me a while back. He said something along the lines of "Don't make decisions based on fear. Make decisions based on love." So that is my goal!!

All that to say that I dreaded reading this book, but that is why I am bragging on it so much now. This guy is not an alarmist! He actually teaches you how to prepare your kids for the world. I actually felt better after reading it. My best friend was worried when I told her about it. She thought it would freak me out. It didn't! I think it helps me feel like there really is something I can do, and things I can teach my daughters that will make a difference.

Yes, I think you should read it!!

Thanks, Nakia. I think I've been afraid to read it - kind of sticking my head in the sand not wanting to know what's really out there. But, I'm afraid my kids are prepared like they could be, so I'll pull it off the shelf.