Menu

Pathway readers/workbooks?

Alison in KY

There's a section in the workbook called Before You Read. We do this before we read the story. In the 2nd grade workbooks the phonics page(s) come next and then there's a reading comprehension exercise. If you want a complete LA program you can add Climbing to Good English for grammar and writing exercises as well as more phonics/spelling. There's no schedule in the TMs, but they do explain the phonetic markings.

I've only used 1st and 2nd grade, so I'm not sure how 4th is set up.

We are only in the first grade books, but we do the vocabulary page (front side) then read the story segment from the reader, then do the comprehension page (back side). If the passage is less than 5 pages, we will do 2 sections in one day.

I will have to look at the books for older kids before I can answer what we will be doing at that point.

So for 2nd grade, how long do you give them to read the story? There isn't a schedule that I can find at all in either book, so I was thinking on Monday's I'd have the kids in both levels read their stories...then every day after that I'd just have them work on the worksheets for each story. Simple enough or should I break the reading up into two pages?

I also thought I'd just set the timer on the lesson...so they could read until the timer goes off, then do the same thing with the worksheets.

Which would be best?

I wouldn't use a timer. I have them read the story aloud, the whole thing. Ds1 is doing third grade and the stories are getting longer, so I will let him read it silently, but you need to read the whole story to do the "Thinking about the Story" type of page.

Alright, so I looked at the books and the 2nd and 4th grade books look like they are laid out the same as the 1st grade ones, just longer stories.

We will continue on the same way we have been going, but not do more than one section/day. So I would say they have to read a specific story and do the associated pages in one sitting unless it is a *huge* amount. Not sure how much time I would allot as we don't do reading with a timer.