Menu

Has anyone dealt with an itchy scalp after non-drowsy allergy meds?

Today, the corner of my left eye became slightly puffy and irritating. This happens when I wash my husband's clothes if he's gotten into poison ivy, and it happens at other times as well. Today, it annoyed me, so I took a 24-hour non-drowsy caplet.

Now my scalp is itching like crazy.

Various members of my family do have this type of problem with nondrowsy cold medicines. Dimetapp, Sudefed, Contac are the ones that come to mind. It makes us wired and gives us what we call a "numby" head. The whole scalp tingles and sortof itches in an extremely non pleasant way! Sounds hilarious, but it's really annoying! :lol: We have to be careful what we take.

I found out that my son is going to be one of us. My daughter can take Children's Claritin with no problems. We gave it to my son. :tongue_smilie: He was up all night, fussing, crying, whining, and rubbing his head. He rubbed it with his hands and tried rubbing it on the mattress. He was frantic in the bed too. It was terrible to watch, especially since I realized what was going on and knew there was nothing I could do except let it wear off!

Well oddly this happens to me when I take Benadryl. I take it for seasonal allergies and it sometimes makes my skin itch like crazy.

Yep, me too. And it makes me hyper. Delightful. (Zyrtec worked well for me in the past, both managing the allergies and not producing the weird side effects)

Also, if I take anything with pseudoephedrine or guaifenesin, I get that yucky weird scalp feeling, sometimes all over my body (especially with the long-acting ones). :ack2: