Menu

How would you schedule 4 dc...wide age span...

Mommyfaithe

I am in a new place in my homeschool career. After 14 years, I still have 4 children to school....but this group has such a wide age span...not to mention ability span. With my 1rst 3...I combined so much. With this group, I am finding it almost impossible to figure out how to do that.

Next year my homeschooled children will be K (age 5, ds) 2 (age 7 ds,) 6 (age 11 dd) and 10 (age 15 ds.)

DD is up to SOTW 4 and I would like to continue that with her.

She will be doing CLE Reading, LA and Math.

Everything else is up in the air.

I would love any and all suggestions...

Thanks,

Faithe (who is really in a quandry.)

Could you possibly combine your two younger ones with something like SL K or 1, or maybe FIAR? That might save you some teaching time. If you like CLE, you could get the reading, LA and math on their individual levels and just have them do the content subjects together, with more depth for the elder.

Sorry, I haven't a clue what to do with the 10th grader.

Next year my homeschooled children will be K (age 5, ds) 2 (age 7 ds,) 6 (age 11 dd) and 10 (age 15 ds.)

DD is up to SOTW 4 and I would like to continue that with her.

She will be doing CLE Reading, LA and Math.

Just ramblings-

If the 5yo is ready, can you just do something like Queen's Language Lessons? Does the 5yo need math? If so, maybe MUS Primer. How about CLE Reading, LA and Math with 7yo ds as well? With the big guy I would just continue with whatever he has been using.

I would do modern history with the 15yo. He probably won't be able to work with the 11yo, but at least your mind will be in the same time frame. With the 5yo and 7yo do world cultures/ world geography that loosely ties to whatever the others are studying in modern, but at that age I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I would also let the little 2 tag along with the 11yo dd's science and with the oldest just move on to whatever is next.

HTH-

Mandy

I wanted to add that I am currently planning to study the middle ages with both my 6yo and 15yo next year. We will use WP QMA. Together they will use-

Mystery of History Vol2

The Real Vikings

Famous Men of the Renaissance and Reformation

Michelangelo by Stanley

Leonardo da Vinci for Kids

Archers, Alchemists & 98 Other Medieval Jobs You Might Have Loved or Loathed

Kingfisher's The Medieval World

Medieval Medicine and the Plague

These books I may read aloud or I may have the 15yo read to the 6yo.

The rest of the books-

Leonardo da Vinci Inventions

Investigate the Middle Ages (WP exclusive)

The World of Columbus and Sons

Gothic Geometry

The Seventh Expert

Illuminated Lettering

Leonardo da Vinci by Stanley

Atlas of the Past: Medieval World

City by Macauley

Mosque by Macauley

Castle by Macauley

Cathedral by Macauley

Trial & Triumph

Christian History Made Easy

100... Events in Christian History

A Survey of the New Testament by Gundry

The 15yo will read independently. He will also use TTC Western Civ and TTC Italian Renaissance Art.

The little guy will be using CLE LA and the big guy will be using Jensen's Grammar. The little guy will be using Queen's Memorization Copywork and SL readers. The 15yo will be using LLfLotR with additional living books.

The little man will use Stratton House Microscopic, Insects & Light and the 15yo will use WP's Human Body & Forensics.

Math is tricky. The 15yo will be using TT Pre-Calc and going to a tutor. I am uncertain which math text to use for the little man, but he will be doing Kumon math. I'm tempted to go to TT with the little man so that they will be using the same thing, but I don't know if that is what is best for him.

The 15yo will be finishing the second half of Conceptual Physics and using K'Nex Roller Coaster Physics. The 17yo wants to get in on the Roller Coaster gig, so I am planning on having them do them independently. The little man will be doing some additonal math exploration. I had planned on CWP; however, with it going OP I may use Challenge Math instead.

The 15yo will be using SOS Spanish and the little man will use RS Farsi.

So, even though the 6yo and the 15yo are obviously in completely different places, I am planning for them to have some history time together. (Modern history is a little tricky, because the topics may be scary for your 5 and 7yos.) With the rest I just would like for my boys to have comparable things at their own level on their plates.

Just how we are looking to next year.

HTH-

Mandy

I just purchased SOS Spanish. I think it will be a good first subject to try as computer based program. I also considered SOS science but thought to start with one subject and then maybe 2 next year.

SOS would grade all the quizzes and tests and free you up for that one subject; you could then use it for the other 2 dc when the time came.

SOS Elementary Spanish looked like fun (at the conference).

R&S science is a nice easy textbook program.

I just purchased SOS Spanish. I think it will be a good first subject to try as computer based program. I also considered SOS science but thought to start with one subject and then maybe 2 next year.

SOS would grade all the quizzes and tests and free you up for that one subject; you could then use it for the other 2 dc when the time came.

SOS Elementary Spanish looked like fun (at the conference).

R&S science is a nice easy textbook program.

Good point! This is why the 15yo will be using TT math, SOS Spanish, and TTC lectures for history and art history.;) Actually, I guess all I will be doing one-on-one with him is some history discussion and LLfLotR discussion. The rest I will just be cheerleading him onward to completion!

Mandy

I'd keep the 10th grader working independently and use DV D or outsuce where possible, but the rest could do science and history together. Use SOTW and whatever spne for science, but just expect more from the older students. Your younger ones will narrate to you, the older ones will write summaries and do mini-reports on topics from the pages you have read.

If you are doing latin, the younger ones could learn the vocab and do the chants, which would be fun and the older kids could do the workbook or lessons.