Menu

Possibly directing a co-op

I find myself possibly directing a co-op here for next year. This will be brand new and start off small. I was co-administrator of a part-time academic co-op in TN, but they paid tuition and it ran more like a school. Is there a website or resource that would be good for me to look at, giving me ideas on legalities, behavior and dress codes, class ideas, etc.?

I belong to a terrific co-op--it is well-organized and I believe our policies have been carefully thought out and tested and result in a healthy, enjoyable experience for both parents and kids. Our website is actshomeschool.com...feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

I belong to a terrific co-op--it is well-organized and I believe our policies have been carefully thought out and tested and result in a healthy, enjoyable experience for both parents and kids. Our website is actshomeschool.com...feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

Thanks! Are there any other seasoned veterans with any advice?

I highly recommend the book by Carol Topp called Homeschool Co-ops: How to Start Them, Run Them, and not Burn Out. If you don't want to buy the book, check her website at http://www.homeschoolcpa.com. She has a ton of great info there.

Tips from personal experience . . . start small and build as you develop a group of committed families. Write out expectations and behavior management policies so that everyone is on the same page. Have a mission statement. Delegate well, or be prepared for a huge personal time commitment. If you don't have thick skin, work on growing some--you will need it! Get to know the members of your group personally, and enjoy all that each has to offer.

I can share our group's policies if you are interested--PM me!

I highly recommend the book by Carol Topp called Homeschool Co-ops: How to Start Them, Run Them, and not Burn Out. If you don't want to buy the book, check her website at www.homeschoolcpa.com. She has a ton of great info there.

Tips from personal experience . . . start small and build as you develop a group of committed families. Write out expectations and behavior management policies so that everyone is on the same page. Have a mission statement. Delegate well, or be prepared for a huge personal time commitment. If you don't have thick skin, work on growing some--you will need it! Get to know the members of your group personally, and enjoy all that each has to offer.

I can share our group's policies if you are interested--PM me!

Everything Barbie said, including the offer to send our policies, etc., if you want a bunch to look at.

(And, thanks, Barbie, for that link!)

Guest Mymoo

I started one last year. There are 6 families with kids ages 1-9. It's pretty laid back. We meet in each other's homes. We don't know if we want to get bigger, nobody really wants to deal with the adminstrative side. It's just easier to stay small. We do some science, history, crafts, bible. And of course there is snack and just free time to play. My kids have really enjoyed it!