Menu

Has anyone jumped into Singapore at the New Elementary Math level (7th grade)???

Sumiller

I have heard about Singapore for many years but never really checked it out. I just looked at it today and am totally amazed at the samples! I would like to give this a try with my soon to be 7th grader but would I need to start at the Primary 6th level since he has not done this program yet?

Has anyone jumped right in at a higher level?

I would definitely start in 6 or even 5, unless you feel he's over-prepared to start algebra right away. The elementary series 1-6 is not American grade levels. NEM is their algebra/geometry series.

Thank you!

After looking over the placement tests and the samples found at Exodus Books, I think my best option would be to start him at level 5B. He has covered much of what I'm seeing in the 5A, and some of what's covered in 5B; but there are a few concepts in 5B I think he should cover. Is this going to be difficult to do? Can I jump in mid level? Oh, I wish I could just get my hands on the books and look through them. sigh.

We've used 5B for a supplement/change of pace this year. We've never used any other Singapore math, and it's working out fine! I'think you're probably right with the level you're picking. If he moves thought it at a decent pace it's okay, it's good for intro. to Singapore! :D

Thank you!

After looking over the placement tests and the samples found at Exodus Books, I think my best option would be to start him at level 5B. He has covered much of what I'm seeing in the 5A, and some of what's covered in 5B; but there are a few concepts in 5B I think he should cover. Is this going to be difficult to do? Can I jump in mid level? Oh, I wish I could just get my hands on the books and look through them. sigh.

My daughter is starting NEW for 7th grade next year as well. I have perused the texts already and I think it pretty much picks up where the Primary courses left off. When I switched my daughter from Saxon to Singapore, I had to start her at one grade lower than her actual grade. Singapore is pretty advanced, but that's a good thing IMO. :) Best of luck to you. :)