Menu

Anyone using TOG in a WTM or in a LCC way?

profmom

We are doing an LCC approach, and I schedule history for only 1 day a week. That pretty much prohibits using TOG in a normal way. After all, there is MORE than a week's info there, so to distill to one day is pretty tough! TOG expects you to have a history focus for the week. We don't, we have a Latin/math/language arts focus. So there you go.

That said, I already had TOG when I found LCC, and I have a dc who loves history so I make it work. Really, I benefit the most. We follow their weekly topic sequence. I read the teacher's notes and discussions, then I know the material enough myself to guide the lessons more efficiently. We have the books, so I leave them out and they are used for individual reading. During our one hour a week I do a mini discussion to put the topic in focus, we look at a timeline and also discuss the people to know. Then we read from the 'spine' for the week (at my levels it is SOTW and CHOW) plus any other book that looks cool. I use it informally during the week to plan art activities and guide TV watching (history channel). This is for the LG and UG levels. I imagine I would do the same with upper levels.... I plan to follow the LCC recs and use TOG for *me*.

Really, one could do the same (way cheaper) just by looking at the scope and sequence from the site, reading an encyclopedia for the teacher's background, and using a free booklist to select books. I am very busy, so I really like having it all printed out with book and art suggestions. (Plus, it was already on my shelf!) I had an extremely poor history education, and am enjoying the adult learning. We aren't protestant, but I have found very little to frustrate me (yet) re: the doctrinal slant.

This is a little rambling, I hope it helps!! :)

Thanks, Happygrrl!

I just spent some time re-reading the Logic stage history section in my (2nd edition) TWTM. She talks a lot about having discussions with your child to help them make connections, but I think I would be lost trying to do this without TOG. So, I think TOG is helping me to do history in a TWTM-ish way. Next, I need to compare the number of books recommended in TOG to TWTM. This could be difficult, though, because TWTM recommends reading additional books on historical topics of interest each week (which aren't listed).

Anyway...I'd love to hear more of everyone's thoughts on using TOG in either a WTM way or a LCC way. I'm still thinking through priorities of different subjects and how much time I want to devote to history. I do see the point of using history and literature studies to teach many skills, but I also want to have plenty of time for things like languages (Latin and Greek) and Classical Writing -- oh, and music -- lots of music going on at our house.

Edited by profmom

She talks a lot about having discussions with your child to help them make connections, but I think I would be lost trying to do this without TOG.

This is me!

I do see the point of using history and literature studies to teach many skills, but I also want to have plenty of time for things like languages (Latin and Greek) and Classical Writing -- oh, and music -- lots of music going on at our house.

LCC totally 'freed me up'. I was trying to stuff in way too much, and now I see the value of learning not so much, but better, if that makes any sense! We now have time for music and non-school reading, and life came back to our schooling. I highly recommend LCC!

Even though I prefer the way TWTM breaks up the history cycle over the four years, I have stayed with TOG's way. The thought of trying to divide up the TOG units so they fit in the WTM cycle gives me a headache, so TOG wins on that one.

I don't use TOG writing assignments as they are. I am using the WTM recommendations for writing. I sometimes use the suggestions in TOG as ideas for writing prompts, but I emphasize narration, dictation, and outlining more that TOG does.

I also use Rod and Staff grammar rather than using the TOG grammar recommendation (Daily Grams, I think). I add in Latin and Logic.

I look at TOG as a tool that makes TWTM easier to implement. I don't have to decide what books to have my dc read, TOG does. TOG teacher's notes and discussion questions help me pull all the loose threads together in history, and TOG guides me in our literature discussions. There isn't much difference between WTM and TOG when it comes to studying history and literature.

I do think that Susan has a clearer vision on how to teach writing, so I'm following her recommendations on that.

I look at TOG as a tool that makes TWTM easier to implement. I don't have to decide what books to have my dc read, TOG does. TOG teacher's notes and discussion questions help me pull all the loose threads together in history, and TOG guides me in our literature discussions. There isn't much difference between WTM and TOG when it comes to studying history and literature.

I do think that Susan has a clearer vision on how to teach writing, so I'm following her recommendations on that.

:iagree:

I also think the suggestions in TOG for the hands-on activities and the Unit Celebrations keep me from being too "book oriented" and add some playfulness to our homeschool.:)

Leanna

If you use TOG and modify it to fit either TWTM or LCC, what changes do you make in your approach to TOG?

I give my students a history reading list at the beginning of each week. They choose when to do the reading - usually they end up with two days of history reading, two days of lit reading (some TOG, some LCC, some of my own), and one day of classical studies reading.

(Somewhere in there my oldest also reads science, and I need to add in religious studies.)

Anyway, their readings are due to be done before Friday, which is when we sit down and do the history discussion.

My older two kids usually do their reading in the morning, while I work with my younger students. When I'm done with the youngers, I work with the older students on Latin, Greek, math, and CW.

We don't do SAPs, or any of TOG's church history. We do try to take a day to do the geography, but we don't always get to it. Most weeks I do assign them the AQs and TQs, and again, they may do those at any point, as long as they have them to hand into me on Friday.

So from my POV, all I "see" of TOG is this: I make them a list, and on Friday we discuss :)