Menu

A question about Saxon 8/7 and Life of Fred.

Rose in BC

My children were working through Saxon 8/7 this year. We've completed aprox. half of the lessons. Then I decided we needed to switch things up and we've worked on some MEP lessons and are working through LoF Decimals and Percents and LoF Fractions.

My question: I'm contemplating purchasing LoF Algebra for the Fall AND completing the latter portion of Saxon 8/7. If I went this route could I pick up with Saxon Algebra I the following year (skipping Algebra 1/2)?

Truthfully I'm not sure if we'll continue with Saxon but I'm also trying to make use of the curriculum I have at home before buying new stuff.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks.

My children were working through Saxon 8/7 this year. We've completed aprox. half of the lessons. Then I decided we needed to switch things up and we've worked on some MEP lessons and are working through LoF Decimals and Percents and LoF Fractions.

My question: I'm contemplating purchasing LoF Algebra for the Fall AND completing the latter portion of Saxon 8/7. If I went this route could I pick up with Saxon Algebra I the following year (skipping Algebra 1/2)?

Truthfully I'm not sure if we'll continue with Saxon but I'm also trying to make use of the curriculum I have at home before buying new stuff.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks.

Students don't usually do both Math 87 and Alg. ½. It's one or the other. So, yes, the next text after Math 87 would be Alg. 1.

Personally, *I* wouldn't do both. I'd stick with Math 87.

I may be the wrong person to answer, since all 3 of my kids hated Saxon. My oldest's main problem was with the 87 book. So, he ended up doing VT Algebra, which is both Algebra I and II.

My younger two are both using LoF (dd did the 2 books you mentioned and ds did the Advanced Algebra), and they LOVE it! Their ITBS math scores are staying high, in fact, they're higher now than when we were using Saxon! LoF does not cost a lot, as you know, so I'd try it, expecially if you've already got it and they understand the concept of where it's coming from! If you feel you need some supplementation then you could work on finishing up the 87 as it coincides what's happening in the LoF book. That's just what I would do, since we TRIED to like Saxon and it just didn't work out......

I may be the wrong person to answer, since all 3 of my kids hated Saxon. My oldest's main problem was with the 87 book. So, he ended up doing VT Algebra, which is both Algebra I and II.

My younger two are both using LoF (dd did the 2 books you mentioned and ds did the Advanced Algebra), and they LOVE it! Their ITBS math scores are staying high, in fact, they're higher now than when we were using Saxon! LoF does not cost a lot, as you know, so I'd try it, expecially if you've already got it and they understand the concept of where it's coming from! If you feel you need some supplementation then you could work on finishing up the 87 as it coincides what's happening in the LoF book. That's just what I would do, since we TRIED to like Saxon and it just didn't work out......

Even my son who thinks reading is equivalent to torture! For the first time in a long time math is a joy in our home. It's so good in my mind I keep thinking it's too good to be true.

It's interesting to hear someone else with my experience. Thanks for your response. (BTW what is review of VT Algebra?)

(BTW what is review of VT Algebra?)
Are you asking me what I think of VT Algebra or asking what VT Algebra is? (VideoText)

My ds, now 17, liked the VT Algebra. He did the whole thing, and only had a few problems wth it bogging down in the last part. I think it gave him a strong base. When he went on to Geometry, he had no problems, and has an A- in Pre-Calc this year. (He's been going to a Christian Highschool last year and is graduating from there this year) He liked the Video concept and seemed to get more out of it that way.