Menu

"Handle on the Arts" curriculum?

Stacia

I keep leaning more & more toward needing 'open & go' curriculum. (I'm a certified curriculum-tweaker, so it pains me to say that, lol. :rolleyes:)

So, in researching options to meet the open & go criteria, I'm thinking "Handle on the Arts" looks pretty promising for an art/music study.

http://www.handleonthearts.com/shop/

Has anyone used this? Comments?

Help!

Thanks.

I'm currently using the Apprentice Arts with our hs co-op; this is the program that is based on units, rather than the Time Traveler, which is based on historical eras. As far as "open and go" -- it's all in the box, other than craft supplies. It includes a nice mix of art appreciation, arts/crafts based on what is studied, music appreciation and basic musical terms, etc., architecture, and a bit of pantomime, etc. My co-op class has 9 children, ages 6-12; most are on the younger side.

Hope this helps, and let me know if I can answer any other questions.

I'm currently using the Apprentice Arts with our hs co-op; this is the program that is based on units, rather than the Time Traveler, which is based on historical eras. As far as "open and go" -- it's all in the box, other than craft supplies. It includes a nice mix of art appreciation, arts/crafts based on what is studied, music appreciation and basic musical terms, etc., architecture, and a bit of pantomime, etc. My co-op class has 9 children, ages 6-12; most are on the younger side.

Hope this helps, and let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Thank you! Hooray -- I'm glad to hear from at least one person who has seen this in real life. LOL.

I'm considering this w/ my 6yo & 9yo (soon to be 7 & 10). How is retention? Do the kids enjoy the program? Do you feel it's worth the investment of $, esp. for a single family vs. a co-op?

I'm not sure which program I'd pick. I was thinking of going ahead & getting the Apprentice Arts, starting now until summer & then finish it in the fall. After that, I was thinking of getting the Time Traveler one, which would fit in well at some point next year as we're planning to do ancients then.

How are the art supplies -- which types of things are needed? All pretty standard stuff, or will I be running out to find unique supplies a lot of the time?

Any other comments?

I love art, but find that I just never pull stuff together for us to do -- kind-of falls to the back burner. Same w/ music. This looks like something fun & easy (for me) to implement & could help ensure that we get art & music back into our regular routine.

Thank you!

Thank you! Hooray -- I'm glad to hear from at least one person who has seen this in real life. LOL.

I'm considering this w/ my 6yo & 9yo (soon to be 7 & 10). How is retention? Do the kids enjoy the program? Do you feel it's worth the investment of $, esp. for a single family vs. a co-op?

It is a sizeable investment, isn't it? I bought it initially to use just with my son, but the opportunity to do it with the co-op came up, so that's what we're doing. I personally think it would work better on a family basis; I have to decide what to do/leave out in order to fit things into a 50-minutes-per-week-for-10-weeks schedule. For a family, it involves 10-20 minutes a day, 4 times a week. The quality of the pictures, CDs, supplies, and lesson book are great. I think it is worth it. (And it all comes in this nice cardboard box with a handle -- hence the name.) Even with the co-op, I only spend about 1/2 hour each week in preparation.

I'm not sure which program I'd pick. I was thinking of going ahead & getting the Apprentice Arts, starting now until summer & then finish it in the fall. After that, I was thinking of getting the Time Traveler one, which would fit in well at some point next year as we're planning to do ancients then.

How are the art supplies -- which types of things are needed? All pretty standard stuff, or will I be running out to find unique supplies a lot of the time?

The supplies are what would commonly be used: markers, pencils, crayons, scissors, paints, paper, etc. There are a few art activities that might take some planning-ahead (sillouettes [sorry -- can't spell!], etc.), but there really isn't anything unusual or weird.

Any other comments?

I love art, but find that I just never pull stuff together for us to do -- kind-of falls to the back burner. Same w/ music. This looks like something fun & easy (for me) to implement & could help ensure that we get art & music back into our regular routine.

It is easy! That's what I like about it. I'm leaning more now towards a Charlotte Mason style, and this fits in well.

Thank you!

Let me know it you'd like any other questions answered.