Menu

A poll for those who have used/are using Reading Made Easy

What did/do you think of Reading Made Easy?  

1. 1. What did/do you think of Reading Made Easy?

• Use/Used it, Love/Loved it!
    • Use/Used it, don't/didn't care for it.
    • Use/used it, would use it again if chosing phonics for another child.
    • Use/Used it, would choose another program if chosing phonics for another child.

I did not care for the progression of how the letter sounds were introduced. I am not in favor of introducing vowel sounds before consonants. This was a real problem for my son. The program that was the best was Phonics Pathways. I am sure other programs have become available since we taught phonics, but this one was the most effective.

Jennie

We are using it now, but not exactly as written. I don't do the index cards. I can't figure out what the point would be. Also, I had already had ds memorize the SWR phonogram cards so when he first started RME we would remark the words. I also change some of RME's explanations to match SWR/AAS stuff. He really likes it, but it may simply be that he was finally ready to read.

I only used the index cards a few times. After that, we just read the book since Dd's fine motor skills weren't up to the writing. We went about 3/4 of the way through RME before her reading took off to a level that I felt she no longer needed instruction. I'll use it with my little one.

I have an almost 8 year old and we are using this.

It has worked great. Mostly because I think it was just time for this kid to learn to read, he wasn't ready at 4 or 5 or 6, but at 7 he was ready. And because we have tried several times with Phonics Pathways I wanted to use something new.

There are several reasons I picked RME, it doesn't require any writing (the parent should make the cards), and it uses index cards. This kid loves index cards :tongue_smilie: He uses them for all sorts of reasons, if there are index cards available he uses them before all other kinds of paper.

And not only does it use index cards, but they add a kinestitic side to learning reading. Manipulating the cards, spreading them along the edge of the counter or on the floor to walk past and read the sentance, mixing them up to make silly sentances, ect.

Again, he just really likes having a box full of index cards and rubber bands!!!

I do think it uses too many sight words, and I teach how to sound out most of them. And we also stopped the index cards after lesson 50 or so unless he really wants me to make them, but it was a nice way for us to enjoy learing to read.