Menu

I can't resist. The definitive poll. :D BJU or Apologia? (x post)

Which do you use/plan to use?  

1. 1. Which do you use/plan to use?

• BJU
    • Apologia
    • Other

Most for fun, but which do you use or prefer? I know what is considered the best, but I want to know what most people use, so see if there is a silent majority. :001_tt2:(< that tongue makes me laugh!)

Heather (Who is focusing on math and using Apologia...for the time being :smilielol5:)

I voted other.

We use the Apologia text because it's what works best in our co-op setting. However, I think the BJUP text is more thorough in its coverage of topics. Even the Apologia Advanced Physics text doesn't cover some topics I would have liked, such as some introductory thermodynamics.

If I had a child going into engineering or physics, I'd at least supplement the Apologia texts with some additional topics, if not switch texts entirely. I didn't look at the BJUP lab book enough to know how doable they are at home. While it's nice that Apologia's labs can be done at home, I think several of them are rather lightweight, especially in the second half of the course. I made some changes this year (my second), and I plan to rework even more of the labs over the summer break to get ready for next year.

We've used Apologia General, Physical, Biology, and Chemistry. I have taught all except Biology in our co-op. I keep reading on these boards that Apologia is inferior to other programs, but I've been pleased with it. I'm not a Biology "expert", so I'm not qualified to pass judgment on Apologia Biology, but I have a B.S. and M.S. in Mechanical Engineering and I think the other courses are appropriately rigorous. Time will tell.

Cindy in Indy

BJU hands down. My son, now entering high school, LOVED BJU Mrs. Vick for Earth and Space. He now wants to pursue astronomy, joining a mixed age scientific community astronomy club and wanted to do science even on vacations, summer break, etc. It has given him a love for science he has never had before! Also, critical thinking and logic application is very good foundation. This is a real thinking course, highly rigorous (far better than my premed courses in college) and superb quality materials.

BJU hands down. My son, now entering high school, LOVED BJU Mrs. Vick for Earth and Space. He now wants to pursue astronomy, joining a mixed age scientific community astronomy club and wanted to do science even on vacations, summer break, etc. It has given him a love for science he has never had before! Also, critical thinking and logic application is very good foundation. This is a real thinking course, highly rigorous (far better than my premed courses in college) and superb quality materials.
Is that through the DVD program, or do you do HomeSat?

I read a post earlier about BJU vs Apologia. Those who did not want to do two years of Apologia Biology in order to pass AP Biology, chose BJU Biology. I have both books.

BJU covers Human Anatomy and most everything else (but not all) that you need for AP Biology exam.

The first year Apologia Biology, eventhough homeschooler friendly, did not cover what we needed for AP Biology exam. Human Anatomy is covered in advanced Apologia Biology.

We are also using Princeton Review and Barron's in addition to BJU to prepare for the exam.

If your child is not going to take the exam, he/she might find Apologia more user friendly.

The hardest chapter in BJU Biology was chapter 2 dealing with chemistry. Since chemistry was not my favorite subject in highschool, it helped to have Apologia and other Biology books handy.

In highschool, I have decided to have more than one book on hand when it comes to subjects such as science. I think it helps to read someone else's explanations besides BJU.

I posted a question about these two programs a couple weeks ago. There were many replies encouraging a switch to BJU. When I looked up the DVD prices for the middle/high school science courses, I noticed I was renting the DVDs for that exhorbitant sum of money. I couldn't even pass the DVD's down to my younger son the following year like I'm planning to do with Chalkdust. So, I'm probably going to do a very accelerated Apologia science schedule so my son can have all three advanced courses his 10-12th grade years.

I chose "other"--even though I plan on using some Apologia, MAYBE one year of BJU and then others. Like a pp said, the major $$$ it takes to "rent" the one year of BJU DVDs is not reasonable for us. BJU is very complete and thorough---but too much as far as costs, topics and teacher intensiveness etc--for us. I don't really like Apologia---but for Bio and Marine Biology I just have not found anything else that is either not impossible to do at home or too much money for one subject. Even though we are Christians, I don't trust BJU to not throw some sort of heavy-handed comment into even science. Just reading the samples of BJU online, it sounds kind of pushy with the whole "Dominion Science" and then they kind of seem to get "doomsday" with the whole "We live in a fallen and broken world etc., etc" thing. I guess I should research exactly what "Dominion Science" is---I am just afraid it will be the typical BJU or Abeka anti-Catholic slur that goes the extra mile to push "their" agenda.