Menu

Just have to share my happy encounter today

I was picking up my soon-to-be-exclusively-homeschooled 5 yo dd from pre-K today, when her wonderful teacher Mrs. R. asked what we had planned for her education in the fall (I have to assume that she saw that we hadn't signed up for Kinder at the private Christian school that she currently attends). I told her that we had decided to homeschool. She smiled big and said, "I was going to talk to you next week and suggest that for Ingrid. She's doing really well, but I think she would do GREAT homeschooling."

Isn't that refreshing coming from a professional, longtime preschool teacher?

Just had to share :001_smile:

That is cool! Strange as it may seem, I hear that alot from teachers when they are being candid after looking over their shoulders to make sure nobody is around to hear them. hehehe My son's Special Ed. teacher in his public school told me that she thinks it's great that my daughter is homeschooled and that public education is a mess. But I live in South Florida too where our public school system is notoriously bad so maybe that is why I hear it so often. Still, I agree it is great when a teacher validates your choice. :) Way to go mom! :)

My husband and I met with the principal of our neighborhood public school a couple of years ago when we were looking at options for our older daughter, who is very gifted. She was in a private school that couldn't (wouldn't?) challenge her. This woman didn't have to meet with us, but she couldn't have been more receptive to our concerns and laid out everything her school could and could not do (which was a heckuva lot more than her private school would even consider). She even offered to put us in touch with the county's G&T coordinator, but her first question was, "Why don't you homeschool her?" She even reeled off a list of resources for us, all of which I knew about already, but I was shocked that she did.

Terri